Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancellation of Debt for Deceased Spouse

tracie
Level 2

Taxpayer filed TY2019 MFJ, but the spouse was deceased.

ForTY2020, Taxpayer is filing Single, but has received a 1098-C in the name and social security number of deceased spouse.

Does the Taxpayer have to pay tax on the cancellation of debt if the 1098 is in the deceased spouse's name and ss#... and the debt was not joint to begin with?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
BobKamman
Level 15

No

tracie
Level 2

Thank you Bob! My research revealed the same. It is always helpful to get consensus!

Tracie

sjrcpa
Level 15

The deceased's estate might have to pay tax on it, though.

Ex-AllStar
tracie
Level 2

I see what you are saying, but because the spouse is still living everything has transferred over to her. Their assets are just their main home and retirement income. Nothing has rolled into an estate. Am I missing something?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Is this a community property state? What was forgiven, such as debt on titled property? Was this some insurance closeout, such as Mortgage life insurance, or forgiven school debt due to death?

More details always help.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

The creditor has already determined that it is uncollectible.  The auditors here are just trying to make sure they left no tombstone unturned.  

0 Cheers