Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't efile first year 1120S due to error re form that isn't required

DianaS
Level 3

First year form 1120S  No depreciation, no interest.  Only deductions are rent and utilities.  The error message is "Not eligible to efile.   Form 8866 is required because tax on line 22c of Form 1120S.  There is nothing there!  I have been through every line and every checkbox on this return and can't make this error go away.  Been using Proseries since 1986, preparing hundreds of 1120S over the years so I am not a newbie.  Any suggestions other than delete client and start over?IMG_8179.JPG

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

10 Comments 10
DianaS
Level 3

FYI Apparently if you attach a PDF to a Sub S return, you get that message if you have previously efiled an extension.    I unclicked the extension efile box from when I had efiled for the extension, saved, closed the file, reopened and I was able to efile.   Way too many negative issues this year with ProSeries.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@DianaS wrote:

First year form 1120S  No depreciation, no interest.  Only deductions are rent and utilities.  The error message is "Not eligible to efile.   Form 8866 is required because tax on line 22c of Form 1120S.  There is nothing there!  I have been through every line and every checkbox on this return and can't make this error go away.  Been using TurboTax since 1986, preparing hundreds of 1120S over the years so I am not a newbie.  Any suggestions other than delete client and start over?

I hope you mean ProSeries and not Turbotax, since Turbotax isnt allowed to be used by paid tax preparers.....I feel like I saw someone else with a similar issued and that 8866 form a few weeks ago...are there any blank ghosted spaces in the smart worksheet above line 22c making it think something is in there?

Or if you run through Review does it give any diagnostics about that line?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
DianaS
Level 3

HA!  Yes, I meant ProSeries.   Thank you for that correction!  No, I went to each blank and hit delete to make certain there were no ghost entries.  And no diagnostics.  Apparently it was the efile extension (which was efiled long ago) that was confusing the software.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Weird! Glad you got it figured out!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
DianaS
Level 3

One of those quirky things.  And I'll try to remember to say "Proseries" from now on.  LOL  I believe when I started using the software back in 1986, it was simply "Turbo Tax" and it has always been that in my mind.    

Accountant-Man
Level 12

Since you can't use TT to sell tax prep services, how did you prepare hundreds of 1120S over the years?

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
DianaS
Level 3

I have used Intuit ProSeries every year since it debuted in 1986ish under the name Turbotax....when we printed on plain paper the numbers and names from the software.  Then we inserted them into preprinted acetate IRS forms to print returns.    At some point in the past, Intuit changed the name for the professional version from "TurboTax" to "ProSeries".   And again I stand corrected.   It's thousands not hundreds over 30+ years using Proseries and it's forerunner IRS approved Turbo Tax. I'll try to edit my original post since it is causing confusion.  

George4Tacks
Level 15
That history should be added to the Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intuit
Thanks for clarifying that which seems to have flummoxed some.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Caulfie
Level 1

I just attached the mailed extension and the e-file extension rejection reason and have the same error.  Did you receive any other solves for this problem?

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
Remove the pdf copy.
Delete the extension input.
efile the return.
Keep paper copy for iffen they ever ask.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers