Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone walk through this scenario with me

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Client is doing a re-fi so she wants her 2019 return to be filed now (2019 was a better year for her than 2018). 

She has the money to make the tax payment on April 10th, but wont have the money for her SEP & IRA contributions until closer to July.

If we file the return now, can she still make those IRA contributions in July?  Does filing the return nix the ability to make the contributions later?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Due date for the payments is the due date of the return, not the date you file the return.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
IRonMaN
Level 15

Due date for the payments is the due date of the return, not the date you file the return.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Thank you!

IRonMaN
Level 15

You betcha!

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

You say SEP & IRA, do you mean SEP-IRA for a self employed? Regular IRA is still due 4/15, but that may change. Any employer plan is due by the due date of the tax return, so you could file for an extension, then file the next day. That would buy time to fund the pension plan. Why file now? Won't the bank accept a "CLIENT REVIEW COPY" as something to work from?

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
IRonMaN
Level 15

I thought they pushed back those dates, but then again following this stuff has been like riding a roller coaster so I don't know what "is" and what "isn't" these days.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Last I read all the dates had been extended....theres been so many changes though Im struggling to keep up!

Ok, this says IRAs have been extended to July 15th too.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/filing-and-payment-deadlines-questions-and-answers

George4Tacks
Level 15

I, once again, stand corrected. https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/filing-and-payment-deadlines-questions-and-answers Q17 does indicate we have until 7/15.

Sort of like standing on quicksand. 

I will do my own 👎

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@George4Tacks wrote:

Why file now? Won't the bank accept a "CLIENT REVIEW COPY" as something to work from?

She said the mortgage broker "strongly recommended" filing the return as soon as possible.