Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can return be efiled with bank account info for refund if no refund is due at this time

Highlighted
Level 1

can you efile return with bank account info for refund if none due in the return itself? Doing return probono for elderly client who does not need to file but wishes to do so to get the government payment (coming to most of us) sooner-When I print out this return - it just shows xxx's in the bank info area - even though entered into client information

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
9 Replies 9
Highlighted
Level 15

No refund + no balance due = no bank information submitted to the IRS.

ex-AllStar, ex-Lutefisk taste taster, ex-ACME product tester
and ex marks the spot where those rocks and anvils hit me.
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15

There would need to be a refund for any bank info to show.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Highlighted
Level 8

Treasury Secretary said earlier today, that within a week, they hoped to have a website that people who had not had to file, or people who had gotten paper checks, could log in and update direct deposit info.  You can still help the client...just have a little patience.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posed.
Highlighted
Level 15

Or they can just be patient and wait for a check.  I don't believe too many retired people have lost their jobs yet so the whole economic effect might not be quite as sudden as say maybe a cook.

Highlighted
Level 10

Most elderly people are on Social Security so the rebate will go to the same place as her monthly SS deposits.

Highlighted
Level 10

I'm NOT advocating for this but . . . what if you stick in $1 of bogus withholding and request a dirdep refund?

I remember the last time we had one of these things (or the time before?), the IRS instructed us to put in $1 of interest income so the returns could be efiled.

There are rumors (okay, tweets) that the IRS is going to make a website.  I have serious reservations about how that will work, particularly for a non-filer SS recipient.  Generally the IRS authenticates you with prior year AGI, etc. so . . . $0?  Or they'll use some financial history from Equifax--oh wait maybe that's not such a good idea either . . .

Level 15
Level 15

@rbynaker wrote:

I'm NOT advocating for this but . . . what if you stick in $1 of bogus withholding and request a dirdep refund?

I remember the last time we had one of these things (or the time before?), the IRS instructed us to put in $1 of interest income so the returns could be efiled.

There are rumors (okay, tweets) that the IRS is going to make a website.  I have serious reservations about how that will work, particularly for a non-filer SS recipient.  Generally the IRS authenticates you with prior year AGI, etc. so . . . $0?  Or they'll use some financial history from Equifax--oh wait maybe that's not such a good idea either . . .

I was actually going to say the same thing...what if you put $1 in withholding....

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

A dollar is only a dollar, but I still wouldn't put my name on a return like that.  Everybody just needs to learn to have a little patience.

Highlighted
Level 10

@IRonMaN wrote:

Everybody just needs to learn to have a little patience.

I generally agree.  Until I read things like this included in the IRS Newswire IR-2020-61 today:

"I am not typically required to file a tax return. Can I still receive my payment?
Yes. People who typically do not file a tax return will need to file a simple tax return to receive an economic impact payment. Low-income taxpayers, senior citizens, Social Security recipients, some veterans and individuals with disabilities who are otherwise not required to file a tax return will not owe tax."

Which is in stark contrast to the actual law passed:

"6428(f)(5)(B) if the individual has not filed a tax
return for such individual’s first taxable year
beginning in 2018, use information with respect
to such individual for calendar year 2019 provided in—
(i) Form SSA-1099, Social Security
Benefit Statement"

It's going to be a long season...