Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I wait until July 15th to file an extension for a 2019 return as the instructions indicate that the extension must be filed by the returns due date?

kubiaktax
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BobKamman
Level 15

Yes, although there is some arcane advice making the rounds that says it might make a difference if your client files bankruptcy down the road, at least in some judicial circuits.

If you know you're not going to hear from your client until the first week of October, might as well have filed it by last month.  Who knows where any of us will be in July?  

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
IRonMaN
Level 15

The return due date is July 15th.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

Yes, although there is some arcane advice making the rounds that says it might make a difference if your client files bankruptcy down the road, at least in some judicial circuits.

If you know you're not going to hear from your client until the first week of October, might as well have filed it by last month.  Who knows where any of us will be in July?  

abctax55
Level 15

I heard that arcane advice too, Bob.  My normal response is "MY clients don't file for bankruptcy" but I'm afraid that is likely to change given the current circumstances.  It makes me very, very sad to think of that.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"