Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Transfer TT files to Pro Series

mikewade
Level 1

I have just purchased Pro Series for the first time and wondered if I can transfer all of my turbo tax

files to the Pro Series or do I have to start over on each client?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
abctax55
Level 15

How many clients have you been doing tax returns for, using Turbo Tax ?

And did you get paid to do them?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Yes, you can transfer from TurboTax.  While in the Homebase, go to "File" then something like "Transfer Clients".  One of the options is to transfer from TurboTax.  I don't quite remember, but you MIGHT need to transfer to the 2019 program first, then from the 2019 ProSeries to 2020 ProSeries.  But you should be able to figure it out, 

abctax55
Level 15

@TaxGuyBill 

Bill, does TurboTax have a "professional" module one can use to prepare tax returns for a fee?

(I tried to send you a private message; you must have that blocked?)

( Generic Comment )"
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@abctax55 wrote:

@TaxGuyBill 

Bill, does TurboTax have a "professional" module one can use to prepare tax returns for a fee?

(I tried to send you a private message; you must have that blocked?)

It's called ProSeries.   

Seriously, ProSeries used to be called something like TurboTax Professional.  They use the same tax 'engine', which means in most cases if an error is TurboTax, that same error is in ProSeries.  They use the same or extremely similar forms/worksheets.  From a tax worksheet and calculation viewpoint, they are the same program.

If you are asking if a person can buy an over-the-counter version of "TurboTax" to prepare paid tax returns, no.  The paid preparer version of TurboTax is ProSeries.

If the OP was erroneously preparing paid return with TurboTax, I'm glad the OP is correcting things now.  If the OP has further questions on how to correctly be a paid preparer, I'm happy to help them start doing things correctly.

abctax55
Level 15

"...If you are asking if a person can buy an over-the-counter version of "TurboTax" to prepare paid tax returns, no"

Thanks for confirming that for me.

( Generic Comment )"
George4Tacks
Level 15