Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I prevent PTIN from printing on client copy of Form8867? I already have the box "X" to prevent PTIN from printing on Form 1040.

keh
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Why would you want to hide your PTIN from your client?  They should be able to see it to verify that you are registered with IRS.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
keh
Level 1

Because dishonest scam artists are STEALING PTINs and filing fraudulent returns. I have had a few clients that I DO NOT WANT having my PTIN or my EFIN. I found a solution--I do not give them a copy of the 8879. My husband worked in account fraud for Bank of America for years. BELIEVE ME there are people who get your information from tax returns when you apply for a loan--NOT CLIENTS--that do dishonest things with personal identification information.

Perhaps you need to go and read IRS Circular 230 again about your duty to AUDIT the returns IRS says YOUR PTIN was used to e-file returns for the year.

0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

And it would be wonderful if that count was even remotely accurate. I have years where it indicates I have no returns filed, which is completely false.

Also, I believe the E-Services section suggest you review the return count, not CIR.230

IRonMaN
Level 15

If you have clients that you do not want to see your PTIN, maybe you shouldn’t have them as clients.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I do a quick check each year to see how many they show as being filed...Ive never verified it exactly, but it usually looks pretty close, certainly not more than Ive filed.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
abctax55
Level 15

Screaming at us isn't necessary, nor appreciated.

The theft of PTIN/EFIN's most often happen because of a hacked computer system; not because BofA shared info from a loan application.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
keh
Level 1

Did not mean to imply ANY ONE BANK. My husband has worked for all of the big banks--not just BOA. The problem is there are dishonest people who get hired in every large organizations. Banks just happen to be one of them. We have been fighting Identity Theft for 4 years now when Chase Bank was breached. Yes, a bank was breached because an employee did not do their job. A criminal? Probably not, but my son, husband and I have had to fight credit cards, cell phone contracts, apartments rented, utility companies, cable companies, etc. where a professional ID theft opened accounts in our names without our knowledge. We live in Houston. Accounts in NY, Dallas, etc. were opened--but not Houston. This common according to my husband who worked in account fraud. Problem is tax returns are used for mortgages, insurance policies, etc. Lots of people have access to these returns. I do not give anyone my PTIN and I eliminate the 8879 from the tax return to help eliminate the risk that my numbers will be used to file fraudulent tax returns. Circular 230 has stinging details about "due diligence" to protect SSN, client info, and for preparers to have a WRITTEN PLAN to guard SSNs, PTIN, and EFIN data. This is part of my written plan.

0 Cheers