Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I claim rent paid in a foreign country on form 1116?

sharmoren0112
Level 4

Hello,

I'm filing Form 1116 Foreign Tax Credit for the first time &  I'm wondering if I can claim rent paid in the foreign country. The amount of my refund increases significantly, so I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. The client sent gross income & net income. I'm guessing I enter the gross amount, but please confirm that that's correct. Please help. Thank  you!

0 Cheers
11 Comments 11
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
claim rent paid for what?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

I'm normally curious, so - where are you deducting the rent on the return?

Slava Ukraini!
George4Tacks
Level 15

Rent may be part of the Exclusion on 2555. You need to provide more information. It sounds like this process is pretty foreign to you. Share info and probably get some excellent help.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
PATAX
Level 15

@George4Tacks @IRonMaN @Just-Lisa-Now- always amazes me when original poster doesn't reply to questions from others who are trying to help that original poster... I don't know....

sharmoren0112
Level 4

Good morning, My client has dual citizenship in US & Germany. He returned to Germany & found a job several hundred miles from his home in Germany & paid rent for 2 years. Yes, this form is new to me & the IRS instructions are a little difficult to interpret. I'm guessing he gets a credit for taxes paid to Germany, as the name of the form implies. But I thought I read that he can also claim rent. Do you have any instructions I can read to help me complete this form? I appreciate any help you can share.

Thank you,

Sharon Moreno

dkh
Level 15

You should try Google-ing .How to complete Form 1116 for dual citizenship taxpayer 

I found this IRS Webinar   https://www.irsvideos.gov/Webinars/AnOverviewOfTheForeignTaxCredit

PATAX
Level 15

@sharmoren0112 for safety and security purposes you should not leave your name on this forum and any other thing that can identify your personal data... malcontent hackers are everywhere... I think there is a way you can delete your name from that post, I think if you hit those three dots or whatever and you can get to the delete part

sharmoren0112
Level 4

I have a LOT on my plate these days & don't always have time to come back to this wonderful resource. I appreciate the help, even though my failure to return caused a comment I deserved.

sharmoren0112
Level 4

OMG, DKH, I LOVE you! this is a HUGE help & I'll finally be able to finish my return! Reading IRS instructions is daunting & I prefer an oral explanation.  Thank you, thank you!

dkh
Level 15

You are Welcome   😊

sharmoren0112
Level 4

I'll look at that & fix it. Thank you!

0 Cheers