Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can FBARs use e Signature?

Trying to use eSignature with an FBAR.  Never used it before so I should have 5 free ones, yes?  When I try to "request" I get a message it isn't eligible.  Don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if all FBARs are not eligible?

Thanks.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Matt C
Employee
Employee

I'm so sorry for updating this thread so late!

I had reproduced the issue, and had identified that this is a gap in ProSeries.

To be transparent - the issue has been acknowledged by the team, but it's a low priority issue. We do not expect to address this in TY20.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

View solution in original post

13 Comments 13
Matt C
Employee
Employee

Hi @Username is two words, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. FBARs should be eligible to the best of my knowledge. We will get back to you after investigating.

Thank you.

0 Cheers
sheri414
Level 3

Was there ever a resolution to this?  I have the same issue and can't figure out how to use esignature for the FBAR.

taxpro2000
Level 3

I'm having this same issue. Any resolution from ProSeries?

Matt C
Employee
Employee

I'm so sorry for updating this thread so late!

I had reproduced the issue, and had identified that this is a gap in ProSeries.

To be transparent - the issue has been acknowledged by the team, but it's a low priority issue. We do not expect to address this in TY20.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

SeleneR
Level 1

Hello,

Can you confirm esignature is available for FBAR? 

Thank you, 

0 Cheers

Yes, it is now.  I've used it.

lbpitts
Level 1

Regarding E-Signature for Form 114-A (FBAR) can you enlighten me as to how it works???

0 Cheers

I'm sorry, I've only done it with one FBAR and I don't remember specifically how. Next time I do it I'll make notes.  

0 Cheers
david3
Level 7

Has there been a resolution of this?

I just tried to send an FBAR 114 through e-signature and it still says it's ineligible. I thought someone said they are able to be sent through e-signature now.

This is a separate FBAR 114 since the spouse owns the foreign account.

Thank you.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@david3 Can you then send those as additional documents?

https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/manage-integrations/use-esignature-proserie...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
david3
Level 7

Didn't think of that. That makes sense.

Thanks so much for your help.

1040up
Level 2

When I go to the e-file dashboard I do not see this either but I believe I figured out how to get the FinCEN Form 114a ready for eSignatures using Intuit ProConnect.  Here are the steps in the "File Return" section:

1. 1. Go to the "Partial print to PDF", tick the box for "114a", click on "Download PDF" once it has generated, and then save the PDF of the Form(s) 114a to your desktop.
  2. 2. Go to the "eSignature" section and click on "Client Authorization eSignature". The "Federal 8879" and state e-file consent form (if applicable), should already be ticked.
  3. 3. Click on "Start a request", which should then bring you to the next screen where you will see a dropdown with the words "Select document type".
  4. 4. In the dropdown, select "Other document for eSignature" and then click on the blue "Browse" button, which will open up the Desktop where you can upload the Form(s) 114 you saved in Step #1. 
  5. 5. Once you upload the Form(s) 114, it should listed now as a document. View it to make sure that's the one. Once all good, then click on "Next".
  6. 6. You should then see the system creating the forms in DocuSign to be e-Signed. 
  7. 7. You will note that the Form 8879 and state equivalent e-File consent form(s) will have the taxpayer and spouse's "Sign" and "Date Signed" icons in yellow and blue colors respectively but that the Form(s) 114a will not have these.  
  8. 8. In order to add these, there is a toggle at the top for the primary taxpayer and spouse/partner with their names. Select the one who needs to sign and date the form on Lines 7 and 8 respectively. Then, on the left side you will see "Standard Fields".  Click and hold on the "Stamp" icon and drag it to the Line 7.  Then, click and hold on "Date Signed" and drag it to Line 8. 
  9. 9. If the spouse needs to sign this same Form 114 (i.e., joint FBAR), then toggle at the top to select the spouse's name, and repeat the steps in Point #7 above to add the spouse's "Sign" and "Date Signed" icons. Your check is that the colors of the "Sign" and "Date Signed" should be different.
  10. 10. Once you have completed the above for any other Form(s) 114a, then save and click on the next steps.  

I didn't write down the next steps but when you are back in Intuit, you should be able to click on "Next" to generate the email template to send to your taxpayers.

I hope this helps and I will try to update this solution on my next one so that we can all use these instructions.

0 Cheers