Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can client report interest received on joint revocable trust if bank reported the interest using deceased husbands SSN?

Love2Cruise
Level 4

Client states that both SSN's were used when the trust was created. But now that the husband is deceased, shouldn't the bank correct the 1099-INT to report the interest using her SSN, or can it still be filed on her return as is? I'm of the opinion that it should be corrected, but she says her bank says it's ok.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

If the joint trust provides that all the assets belong to her when he died, then yes she can report all of the income.

She needs to speak to someone else at the bank because you're not supposed to issue 1099s under a dead person's SSN. They should change it going forward.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
sjrcpa
Level 15

If the joint trust provides that all the assets belong to her when he died, then yes she can report all of the income.

She needs to speak to someone else at the bank because you're not supposed to issue 1099s under a dead person's SSN. They should change it going forward.

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

As a wise man once wrote, "We have a tax in this country on income, not on pieces of paper."  If the interest belongs to her, it belongs on her return.  If the bank doesn't change it by next year, they are likely to get a letter from IRS telling them to start withholding federal tax on the interest because the SSN is not valid.  

Love2Cruise
Level 4

I advised her during our review that it needs to be changed.  I will reiterate this to her once again. Thanks so much! Really appreciate it. 

0 Cheers
Love2Cruise
Level 4

Maybe that's what it'll take for them to make sure they stay up to date on these matters. They should have changed it when she presented the death certificate to them.  Many thanks for the valuable information.

0 Cheers