Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a priest who gets 1099 misc. and box 3 (other income) filled use Schedule C?

singh
Level 7

My client who performs religious ceremonies at people's residences received a 1099 misc. form from one individual. Box 3 shows $20,000. This is the first time he received this from. He also works for another company as an employee and received a W2.

Can I link this Box 3 amount to Schedule C, and take auto and other expenses for him by creating self-employed business of conducting religious activities.

Thank you in advance.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

That sounds like the correct course of action to me.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

You cannot include for purposes of the Sched C any vehicle use or supplies expense or other costs that relate to the W2 job.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@singh wrote:

My client who performs religious ceremonies at people's residences received a 1099 misc. form from one individual. Box 3 shows $20,000.

Out of curiosity, did ONE individual pay this person $20,000 for his own religious ceremonies?  [Wow].  Or is that person that paid $20,000 a business that set up religious ceremonies for several other people?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Did you ask about this payment? Because box 3 could be some sort of Mission Support. Box 7 would be used for Services Provided.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers