Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a password protected pdf file be forwarded to client's bank without the protection?

HapTax
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
dascpa
Level 11

You can print the .pdf file to another .pdf file using any PDF writer and remove the security.  However, my malpractice insurance carrier will NOT let me send any tax returns directly to a 3rd party, especially and lender.  It has become common (and unfortunate) that by doing so the bank could sue you for a default on the loan.  Same concept with verification and other letters.  Be careful.

sjrcpa
Level 15

And I would not send an unprotected tax return to anyone.

Ex-AllStar
The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

@dascpa  Always, always, always, send the password protected pdf to your client.  Your client can then forward the pdf to the banker if they so choose.  The banker should be able to open the security protected pdf per the instructions contained in the body of the email using information that the banker should already have on file at the bank.