Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

California Individual Return: form 3895

archa5
Level 2

My California client got FTB form 3895 with the same numbers as Federal Form 1095-A.
The cover letter says: Use your Form 3895 to fill out form FTB 3849, Premium Assistance Subsidy.
attach Form FTB 3849 to your state tax return to report the California premium subsidy amount you
got each month.
I used the 1095-A form finished the Federal return and brought the information to the State.
The ProSeries platform did not bring me the form 3895.
I am not sure if it is really necessary to fill out the 3895 and then fill out form 3849.
The numbers, which Covered California shows in form 3895 are the same as the numbers in 
Federal 1095-A.
The ProSeries platform does not stop me to file the return without form 3895, I just need to click "Yes"
in Healthcare Worksheet.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
abctax55
Level 15

PS does generate the F 3849 (I don't use PS so can't tell you the 'how')

CA uses a 600% cliff instead of the Federal 401% cliff, so it is important to use the info from the 3895 - the results can be very large.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

On the CA return, you had to use the healthcare worksheet to mark yes or no to whether they had coverage, the link to the 3895 is on that worksheet.

Nothing will stop you from "not" entering the correct forms, its up to you to know what needs to be done.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I had one guy that ended up with a payback on the fed, but a HUGE credit on the state, so yes, very important to include that 3895!

abctax55
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now-  We should compare.  My biggest one so far is $ 28000.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
you win! LOL
This guy had a fed payback of 5200 and a CA credit of 7600...he wanted to put money in an IRA, but doing that lowered his income where he didnt get the CA credit, and since the fed payback was excluded, no IRA.

0 Cheers