Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cache files exist on server but not the data (i) files

Ashley2
Level 2

Missing a number tax returns (1040s) in ProSeries 2020. We use a network connected install. I found one for my client "Smith" saved as Smith1234.20i.cache out on my server where all the other data files are, but not the corresponding "Smith1234.20i" ProSeries file. 

Have tried doing Homebase Maintenance and Backup/Restore. With Restore, it only sees the "20i" files and not the cache files. How do I restore when only the "cache" files for a particular client exist? 

Thanks,

Ashley

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

16 Comments 16
BobKamman
Level 15

I lost about a dozen files when I ran Homebase Maintenance last week.  Found them in my Recycle Bin and managed to restore them.  I'm starting to do daily backups now.  

0 Cheers
Intuit_hieu
Employee
Employee

HI Ashley,

Could you please send your contact info to proseries_engineering@intuit.com?, please include a link to this post for reference. We would like to follow up with you regarding the issue.

Thanks,

-Hieu

Ashley2
Level 2

Yeah, I looked in the server and the computer recycling bin but didn't find anything. 😕 

0 Cheers
Ashley2
Level 2

Thank you Hieu! I've sent an email to the link you provided w/ a link back to here.

0 Cheers
Milkshake
Level 1

Were they able to help you restore? I have a client file with the same issue- I see the ".20i.cache" file but not the corresponding ".20I" file. There is nothing in my recycle bin. 

0 Cheers
Intuit_hieu
Employee
Employee

Sorry for the trouble. You cannot convert .cache file to return file.  How did you get into that situation?

0 Cheers
Ashley2
Level 2

Hi, Milkshake. Unfortunately they were not able to help me restore and they weren't able to tell me why the issue happened in the first place. I work for an IT firm so I was able to restore the "20i" files from our server backup and confirmed with my end-users that they could see the restored files in their Proseries clients. 

Are your Proseries data files hosted on a server? If so, you/your IT team might have to go in and restore from server backups. 

0 Cheers
Julia_K
Level 1

Hi Ashley. Homebase Maintenance will remove clients from the database if the datafile is missing. It will think that the client doesn't exist anymore. 

It is possible that the datafile was deleted or messed with by your antivirus software. If this issue happens again you should try to make sure that your antivirus does not scan your datafile. Follow the instructions here: https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/file-actions/help/error-opening-client-cannot-locate-file-wo...

0 Cheers
Ashley2
Level 2

I checked on our server's AV events and didn't see any events where files in the ProSeries directories were quarantined or even marked suspicious. Please advise if there's other causes.

0 Cheers
Matt C
Employee
Employee

Hi @Ashley2 , do you see any files in your data directory that has the "tmp" extension, or files that start with "$~" ?

Please make sure you have the settings set to be able to see these files:

1. Search in Windows for "File Explorer Options"

2. Go to the View tab

3. Check the radio button for "Show hidden files, folders, and drives"

4. Uncheck the box for "Hide protected operating system files"

0 Cheers
Ashley2
Level 2

Hi Matt, yes, I was able to see some $~ files in the data directory on the server. I tried to launch them, and they opened in ProSeries. I don't have a ProSeries account so didn't sign in to verify if they were the missing files or not. 

My question is, this only seems to happen to my customer after they e-file returns. Unclear if it's all returns that get e-filed, or just some of them. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? We have already set the AV exceptions on the server, and the problem has persisted since that point.

Julia_K
Level 1

Hi Ashley. Are you using a backup service? We have seen that backup services also create this same issue. If you are using one could you reduce the backup frequency and change it to a time that would not impact your firm?

0 Cheers
Matt C
Employee
Employee

Hi Ashley, thank you for that information. We don't have a solution right now, but we are actively working on this. We're hoping to have a fix out in the next week or two.

Ashley2
Level 2

Thanks Matt. In the meantime while we wait for the fix, is there anything I can advise my customers do when they e-file a return to prevent it from disappearing? They're running a server-client setup, so I don't know if having them save files locally to their PCs as a pre-emptive measure would be a good idea, or even possible. Thanks in advance.

0 Cheers
Matt C
Employee
Employee

I've heard that efiling from an open return may help (though it can be inconvenient depending on their workflow). If they try that and it helps, please let us know.

Yes, they could copy off the client files to their local machine before efiling, and put them back afterwards. In case statuses are out of date, they should be able to select the return in EF Center, and then in the menu, do E-File >  Electronic Filing > Update Acknowledgement Status of Selected...

Not sure if customers are willing to help troubleshoot, but if they are willing, could they try converting & transmitting separately, and try to see when the issue happens? 

0 Cheers
RW67
Level 1

We have been experiencing these deleted or corrupt .20i files for a number of years on our network version of ProSeries. ProSeries help desk claims there are no issues with their program and it must be our anti-virus program. We followed their instructions to the letter and still we keep running across many deleted/corrupt tax returns. It is not our anti-virus because if it was we should see the files in the quarantine folder. Instead I will find a file that looks similar to ~274krh6.  If you rename the file or try to manually search and open it, it will be at least a fragment of the deleted tax return.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or have any suggestions?

0 Cheers