Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA STAYS ON LINE 15 IN W2 ENTRY

taxguyak
Level 3

I ENTERED A W-2 FROM AK.  I GET A DIAGNOSTIC for State ID box 15, and CA is in the State field automatically.  When I delete the 'CA' it reappears.  AK doesn't have a State Income tax, so there is no State ID on the W-2.  Box 16 State wages has a number; I can't delete that either.  No State return is checked on the info worksheet either.  I installed the current proseries update.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

What state were they a resident of in 2020? Fill out the state info at the bottom of the Fed Info worksheet. 

If they have a CA address and you havent filled out the state info at the bottom of the fed info worksheet, I think the the W2 state portion will default to the state for the address on the return.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
PATAX
Level 15

Try entering it on a new W-2 worksheet... if that works then delete the incorrect W2 worksheet and you are good to go.. Just my opinion 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

What state were they a resident of in 2020? Fill out the state info at the bottom of the Fed Info worksheet. 

If they have a CA address and you havent filled out the state info at the bottom of the fed info worksheet, I think the the W2 state portion will default to the state for the address on the return.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
taxguyak
Level 3

Yes his previous CA address was on the info worksheet.  So putting in his AK address did the trick.  Thanks.