Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA state filing residence box not working

parvitstax
Level 5

My client has $0 California refund/tax due. I am unable to select 'yes' or 'no' for principal residence question. Is this a bug in the update? The format before the update asked for the yes/no answer first before selecting the county. Now it asks me for the county first but when I click yes the button doesn't accept my entry and the error to select yes/no remains. a.JPG

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

20 Comments 20
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Works fine for me. Is the client marked as a full year CA resident at the bottom of the Fed Info Worksheet?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
parvitstax
Level 5

Ya they are marked full year resident. They are also marked as a dependent and also marked as claimed by someone on their tax return. Other than that this client is completed just like other clients. I will update if more of my clients experience this but just looking for a solution so I can file them right now.

I feel like this issue has to do with $0 balance. No other client has had that issue since my post. But this client is the only one with $0 balance for state. 

bt-jlwt
Level 2

I have the same issue.   My son is marked as a dependent and also marked as claimed by someone else.  Cannot submit tax return because this box needs to be checked and turbotax refuses to cooperate. 😞

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Oh, its an issue only if its someone that can be claimed by someone else?

Works fine for me...

Edit   Wait, Im not sure Ive had any dependents that met the filing requirement yet, they've all just filed to get withholding refunded, so that may be why I haven't had an issue.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
This isnt TurboTax support, sorry.

0 Cheers
ChristianEdoria
Level 1

I'm having this same exact issue and it's very frustrating.  This is the only client that isn't allowing me to click the principal/physical residence address box.

parvitstax
Level 5

Ya this dependent is also just filing to get a refund

0 Cheers
parvitstax
Level 5

Does your client have a refund in federal and state? Is your client CA resident? 

0 Cheers
ChristianEdoria
Level 1

Refund for Federal, No Refund State, Yes they are a Full CA Residence.  

I've already filed 100 California returns, but this is the only one with this issue.  I even tried to create the entire profile and it's not working.  

bt-jlwt
Level 2

It feels like this was introduced in the most recent update.   The inability to check either box prevents submission too.  This is an issue in TurboTax Deluxe too.

0 Cheers
parvitstax
Level 5

Ya I have the same issue. Federal refund but $0 CA balance. 

0 Cheers
bt-jlwt
Level 2

Telephoned TurboTax support and showed them the issue.  They seem perplexed but gave some non-committal answer about having someone look at it.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

This forum is NOT Turbotax support.

0 Cheers
bt-jlwt
Level 2

Thanks Lisa,  simply responding to the original poster, letting them know they are not alone.

parvitstax
Level 5

Well that's reassuring lol. Luckily its a $0 status so no real issues there

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
If you set the county back to No Entry, will it let you mark one of the boxes?

0 Cheers
parvitstax
Level 5

No, changing the county doesn't fix the issue. Putting it as "no entry" also does not help. It seems to be a bug that needs an update.

0 Cheers
MATax
Level 1

I am having the same issue with dependents under the age of 17; once i change their age to 18 years the problem goes away.

Of course the age will not be changed just to file but it has something to do with their age.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Program alert went out in the product yesterday, hit the Red Alert button on your toolbar if you missed it.

parvitstax
Level 5

Thanks! In short.. update coming later this week. Article is here🙂

0 Cheers