Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA 540 math is incorrect

Schlof
Level 3

I have an issue with math on the 540.  Client has a $31 CA earned income credit.  Wants to pay the CA sales tax of $2.  Overpayment now shows $29 - good.  Go down to refund amount and it is $27.  Taking the $2 out twice.  Spoke with tech last week and still no fix.  No easy way to contact intuit.  Called today wait would be over 1 hour.  Poor customer service and tech apparently isn't that good or quick to fix either.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

the math works fine for me  his total tax was 12274.

causetax.png

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
IntuitAustin
Intuit Alumni

Hello, 

This has been reported to our tax development team and they are currently investigating the issue. 

Cheers!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Accept as solution"
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@IntuitAustin is it only when CAEITC is in the mix?  All mine with use tax have good math in them.

0 Cheers
IntuitAustin
Intuit Alumni

It seems that the CA 540 is subtracting Use Tax Line 91 once in the Overpaid Tax/ Tax Due section (Line 93) and again on Line 115. Line 115 should only be subtracting Lines 110, 112 and 113 from 99 according to line instructions.

We're looking into it though! I'll follow up on this post once I have more information 😁

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Accept as solution"
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Ahhhh ok, I see it further down, I had an ES penalty involved that kinda skewed what I was seeing.

0 Cheers
Schlof
Level 3

No not just on a return with EIC.  One return had EIC and one did not but subtracted the sales tax out twice on both.

0 Cheers