Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA 540-ES electronic payments for 2020 have to be efiled individually?

My client wants to pay his CA ES payments electronically like he always has.  I have always checked the box on the CA return and easy peasy they were withdrawn like clockwork.  Well, did it again this year and got two rejections.  So  after looking around I discovered you have to go to the Federal info wksheet and add them there.  I did that.  Now when I go to efile it will only send the first one.  Do I have to try to remember to go back in each time and efile his next payments?  I have always just said do it when I efile and never had to think about it again till the next filing system.  I don't like this!  Why of why did they change it?  And I am getting ready to set up Federal auto withdrawals for my first client this year.  Will I have to do the same for the federal Auto ES payments?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Im thinking its a direct deposit vs direct debit conflict when sending the banking info to CA....Id cut my time losses set the refund for direct deposit, and schedule the ES payments on the FTB WebPay website, its really easy...leave the client letter as is like they got scheduled through the software....oh wait, this is a different thread  LOL

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

As far as I can tell you can still schedule them all just like weve always done on the 540 ES worksheet....I asked a mod about this over a week ago, still no answer for sure.

But it now appears you can file the CA estimated payments on the fly throughout the year if you want to, rather than scheduleding them up front when you file the return.  Why we would need this option I have no clue, FTB Webpay is super simple to make payments on the fly throughout the year if needed.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@IntuitAustin did you ever get any info about this?   Inquiring minds would like to know!

0 Cheers

Yep I kind of figured it out but I just asked another question....my CA keeps getting rejected with no code (see description) and it says a telephone number must be provided...it is with the appropriate box checked. And ensure all banking related info is complete and valid...it is.  I have had 3 rejections.  grrr...getting frustrated.  He is getting a refund and wants electronic withdrawal of his ES payments.  Any clue?  Going to try something else.  I see a line that says total amount of refund, 540 line 115.  It is not showing as an error or anything I should fill out but I just added the refund amount and we will see!  Intuit will need to show this as an error if that works. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Im thinking its a direct deposit vs direct debit conflict when sending the banking info to CA....Id cut my time losses set the refund for direct deposit, and schedule the ES payments on the FTB WebPay website, its really easy...leave the client letter as is like they got scheduled through the software....oh wait, this is a different thread  LOL

Yep, it didn't work.  I guess I'll do that.  I'm done for today!  13 hours is long enough!  Thanks for your help.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I sent in a return with CA ES payment scheduled, they also had a CA balance due that I had direct debited as well....it was all accepted just fine.   

So, Im going to stand by my theory about the banking info conflict when you have a refund to be direct deposited and ES payments directed debited.

Yes, I convinced my client to apply the refund to the quarterly estimates.  He agreed.  Not sure what he is going to think about both the April and June being taken out in July.  I warned him.  Elderly people don't like change.  He wants it done exactly like it has been for years.  🙂

Stay safe and healthy my friend!

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

This one is the same...I did schedule his 2019 payment to be withdrawn on 4/15 but told his daughter the ES payments wont come out until July...she may just need to hide the bank statements from him  LOL  so he doesn't worry about it, the money will be there, that's not an issue.

0 Cheers