Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug in unemployment exclusion for California

Tax Reducers
Level 2

Using the new "fix" for unemployment exclusion causes Unemp $ to be subtracted twic on the California tax return. We just noticed. Maybe Intuit being in California, the test team would have noticed this but ... does not seem so.

Any ideas on getting past this bug?

I put the exclusion amount into Schedule CA, Line 22K, Column B. Then I had to alter the NOL Classification Worksheet to enter negative amount in Column B (Non Business) to get rid of the error there.

Those two things seem to get around the bug, but I think this is something ProSeries should fix. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

9 Comments 9
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ive been adding back the excluded amount on Line 8F of the Sch CA worksheet.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Tax Reducers
Level 2

I like your solution better than mine. I started from line 22K which led me down a rabbit hole.

But the real solution is for ProSeries to not include UCE amounts from the Federal in the CA other income worksheet.

And, of course, what about all the California returns that got filed before we noticed this bug??? Maybe we can get a credit against next year's fee for all the time wasted on those amendments (not to mention the program crashes, which I have to mention did not happen as often before we were forced to upgrade to Windows 10).

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Intuit hasnt made any changes to any of the states regarding UI and the federal exclusion, and havent given us any idea when or if they will.

I dont know if Id call it bug, the state software just hasnt been updated to make the adjustment automatically.

Yea, if you started filing returns once the UI exclusion for fed was in place and didnt consider the state ramifications, gonna be some amended returns in your future, and people will owe money, so that wont be fun at all  😕

I had crashing on Friday and Saturday, this morning I had a Windows update that installed and I havent crashed at all today, not sure if it had anything to do with it or not.

Baseballfan
Level 1

Lacerte is calculating the issue with the unemployment on California returns properly. It is adding back in without any additional work the $10,200 on the California side. There is no reason this should be the same for Proseries????

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Completely different programs, completely different programming.

Tax Reducers
Level 2

I agree that if Lacerte can get it right then ProSeries should be able to get it right.

"Bug" may be a harsh word, but in the 40 years that I worked in computer programming if you changed one part of a program and that caused another part of that program to begin functioning incorrectly, that was called a BUG. And, that is what happened here.

Someone just did not think the design through completely, and the QA staff did not test it completely because no one told them to test for that consequence.

I am not trying to be mean here, just honest. This kind of stuff happens all the time in programming, just like we sometimes make mistakes in tax preparation. But ProSeries should be anxious to fix this problem, and quickly. Just like we are anxious to fix the problem it has caused for our clients.

sjrcpa
Level 15

Intuit won't even use the term bug anymore. It is now Unexpected Behavior.

Ex-AllStar

Has ProSeries put out any official notice of the error?  I have been adding the unemployment back on Line 28a in Schedule CA.  I will also lock the return so that if the "fix' is corrected it will not change how I have been reporting it.

I have been using ProSeries since it was Mac in tax.  Its a bummer that they dropped the ball on this.  I wonder what else we fill find that they have not been calculating correctly.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Ive been adding it back on Line 8F of the Sch CA. I also have been locking down all returns after filing.

0 Cheers