Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitcoin transactions

The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

Client included a Transaction Report from Coinbase reporting the sales and purchases of Bitcoin for 2020.

There is no Cost amount or purchase date on the sales. Checked IRS.gov but I'm still not sure how I figure the gain/loss and short or long term. 

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dascpa
Level 11

Coinbase does not supply us with the tax input information we need.  The client needs to subscribe (and pay) for CoinTracker.  That will give us Form 8949 information and makes life really easy.

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
rbynaker
Level 13

If the "Wallet" is not keeping track then you probably need to dump the entire account history into a spreadsheet.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/frequently-asked-questions-on-virtual-curren...

The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

OK, I'll ask the client. Thanks.

pippagray
Level 1

Have you ever thought about the fact that some settings may be disabled in your account? And because of this, the transactions made by your client are not displayed.

BobKamman
Level 15

Why does this message board offer a spot to click for "Cheers," but not one for "Sympathy" ?

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Your post makes no sense, and your unsolicited link has been reported.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dascpa
Level 11

Coinbase does not supply us with the tax input information we need.  The client needs to subscribe (and pay) for CoinTracker.  That will give us Form 8949 information and makes life really easy.

The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

Thanks for that info @dascpa

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Reminder: Don't click unsolicited links in random posts, this one has been reported.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪