Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best computer for ProSeries

Good morning, community, 

Hope everyone is having a productive morning. 

I am looking to upgrade my computer and wondered the collective wisdom of the group as to what my next computer absolutely must have. 😉 

Dawn

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Any new PC should more than meet the minimum specs for ProSeries.  

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/form-1040/help/system-requirements-for-2020-proseries-and-fi...

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Any new PC should more than meet the minimum specs for ProSeries.  

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/form-1040/help/system-requirements-for-2020-proseries-and-fi...

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
rbynaker
Level 13

Don't skimp on RAM.

Thank you for the link!

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

I run a few different Intuit programs. I shop for "entry level gaming" systems. For instance, i7, not i5. The issues are having enough RAM, video memory and a fast enough processor. If you don't currently have a SSD (solid state drive, which means, no longer a spinning disk), having this will amaze you with improved performance, even if that is only used for the OS (fast reboot) and installed programs; and you keep the data files (documents, tax returns, spreadsheets) on an old-style hard-drive. By the way, I also only work on 17" laptops.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.

Thank you! I'm looking at a Dell right now that I think has everything you are mentioning as well as what is on the list that Just-Lisa-Now provided. Only lack would be slight smaller screen at 15.6? 

Dell, Vostro 15 inch, 3500 laptop.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

I bought a Dell 15" i5 touchscreen a few years ago intending it to be my backup system while I waited to afford a better system to transition over as my main system. I still have it and use it only for QuickBooks, to avoid installing QB anywhere else.

I hate it. I hate the touchscreen, as it affects the quality of the image you get to accommodate the touch function. I hate the smaller screen. I hate the smaller 10-key (always get a 10-key). OMG, it was so slow yesterday, just on a wakeup, while I was trying to handle a customer's unscheduled call.

I

Hate

It.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

@qbteachmt  with a keyboard that has a number keypad, right?

I so appreciate the feedback, thank you!  I've just started looking and am not really interested in a touch screen at all. Agree that a separate number pad is 100% essential! 

0 Cheers

Definitely has a number keyboard!  Completely essential. 🙂

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

I've been mostly a happy Dell customer since my first laptop.  My previous computer was a 17" screen and I plug it into a 27" monitor.  That was much better than my current setup of 15" plugged into the same 27" monitor.  The resolution on the 15" is just not easy to read (not necessarily the computer's fault as much as my aging eyes!)  So I find I rarely put anything on that screen and just use the 27".  As a result, I have less total screen real estate than I did before the "up"grade.  So I would probably not get another 15" for tax production.

I have an older 17" Vostro that I absolutely love.  Best Dell I've ever owned but it's still running Win 7 so it mostly just collects dust. 😞

0 Cheers