Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are they chartering cruises from Turddotaxx over here these days?

IRonMaN
Level 15

I don't mind an occasional question sneaking in from the dark side of the world but this is just plain ridiculous.  It looks like everybody got off the boat to come and waste our time.  For the millionth time - how hard is it to keep all of the riff raff from posting here?

2020 Federal Tax Refunds being delayed? - Intuit Accountants Community

Slava Ukraini!

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TiredFarmer
Level 7

Posting this message here because I thought the ones I wanted to say I appreciate all the help you put in this forum might see it.....so Thank You ALL very much and I hope you all have Happy and Safe Holidays and the next tax year goes smoother than this one!   Thanks Again!

View solution in original post

44 Comments 44
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
that link doesnt work for me, maybe they removed it

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

They have hidden your evidence.   🙂

Yeah, I'm sick of it too, and may be leaving this forum.  I'm not sure if this change was part of the new update or if it has been there for the last year, but the updated "Community Guidelines" specifically state this forum is open to everybody.  If that continues to be the case, it won't be open for me anymore.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

when they start getting unproductive for a professional atmosphere Ive been trying to tag them for removal...looks like I may have done that with this one.

IRonMaN
Level 15

The buried the body along with Jimmy Hoffa?

Like I said, Every once in awhile I don't mind answering a question for someone doing their own return.  But when you get them lining up down the block, it gets old really fast.  Especially for those that feel "entitled" and get a bit of an attitude.  Intuit pushes this place as their first stop for support, and they do nothing to help us.  In fact they do more to hinder us by letting every yahoo with a computer or phone pester us.  It really sucks.

Slava Ukraini!
dascpa
Level 11

Also too many newbie's asking questions about ProSeries that are way too basic which means they haven't spent any time learning the program.

Or people who you question if they should be preparing everyone else's taxes as they know nothing about basic tax law.

We all started somewhere but we did our own research first in both the law and in the program.  We've become Siri.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Why spend time learning when Siri is so helpful?

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Oh, you dont want to see the questions asked in the Facebook Tax Professional groups...scary stuff in there!

Apparently people just take a study course and get their EA with no experience and hang a shingle as a tax professional.  Ive seen DIYers using TurboTax that know more than some of the EAs in these groups.

abctax55
Level 15

Why bother learning when "we" so often bail "them" out by answering the basic questions?

I'm all for mentoring fellow tax pro's while they are learning; it gives me pleasure.  PLUS, I had a ton of help when I was starting out of so many decades ago.

But I've stopped answering most of the questions from the one-hit/post wonders unless the wording indicates they ARE a tax pro.  And even then, if it's a question that could easily be answered by just a wee bit of basic research  (such as *maybe* reading the damned instructions ??).

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
abctax55
Level 15

I asked BettyJo & Austin to close that one before it got ugly.  The jerk that said 'you're wrong, I got MY free money' ticked me off.

( Generic Comment )"
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@abctax55 wrote:

I'm all for mentoring fellow tax pro's while they are learning ...

But I've stopped answering most of the questions from the one-hit/post wonders unless the wording indicates they ARE a tax pro. 

Me too.  That is exactly how I feel.

I'm also starting to wonder if there is website somewhere (reddit?) that tells people to come here for tax questions (and probably tells people to say "taxpayer" to give the impression they are a tax professional).

abctax55
Level 15

Bill, I've noticed that too ("my client/taxpayer") but they usually slip up further in the post.

Those really tick me off; one of the things I really dislike is being treated like I'm stupid.  Even when I am 😂.

( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

It seems like instead of locking the door, they have put in a bigger entry way and added a neon "welcome sign".  I certainly don't spend my time here trying to help out Intuit, and sometimes it drives me bonkers when folks are afraid to just enter something and see what happens.  But on the flip side I do like to help out folks that try hard but need a little help now and again.  Some of the names I recognize as being regular visitors for a number of years.  I always like helping those folks --------------- it's kind of like lending a hand to a neighbor.

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

Did you get this:

Cumulative statistics comparing 2/28/2020 (day 33 of 2020 Filing Season)
AND 2/26/2021 (day 15 of 2021 Filing Season)

(half as many days in the comparable period)

Web Usage: 2020 2021 % change
Visits to IRS.gov 291,906,000 493,500,000 69.1
"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
IRonMaN
Level 15

That difference is probably due to preparers checking to see if their clients were scheduled for stimulus payments.

Slava Ukraini!
itonewbie
Level 15

It's definitely gotten worse and agree some don't sound legit when they say taxpayer.

Have seen threads literally hijacked by determined DIYers who disregard advices that they're in the wrong place.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

But some of those folks say they are in the "right" place since they are allowed to post here.  Thank you to the Intuit No Door Team.

Slava Ukraini!
TiredFarmer
Level 7

I think all of  you have helped me that is on this thread and I sure do appreciate you.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Always a pleasure to help you.  But you should get to bed pretty soon so you aren’t so tired. 😴

Slava Ukraini!
TiredFarmer
Level 7

I thought I posted a question but now I can't find it and was just wondering if any of you all were having issues with a capital gain carrying to a Schedule D from an installment sale....it was working last week but now today it is not.  I have tried refresh updates and shutting computer down and I have worked form by hand to make sure I hadn't missed checking something.  Any suggestions and I am sorry this is not where it should be and I am sure I posted someplace but it isn't where my others are.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I've seen a couple of other questions asking why the Installment Sale is not going to Schedule D.  I didn't read those posts so I'm not quite sure of the answer, but at first glance it seems like it might be a program error.

abctax55
Level 15

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/installment-sale-capita...

( Generic Comment )"
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Maybe that was one of them that I saw.  😂

IRonMaN
Level 15

I prepared a return earlier this week with an installment sale that started about three years ago and that return worked correctly.  I just checked it now and it hasn't changed.  Was this an existing installment sale or new this year?

Slava Ukraini!
TiredFarmer
Level 7

Earlier in the week I had a return with both but today it is some that has started in previous years.  I have been and still on hold with Pro Series but I am wondering if they have not closed because it has been over 2 hours. The one that I had already completed is fine but the one I was working on today doesn't even generate a schedule D even though the installment sale is showing a figure to carry to it. Thanks for any input.  I think I am going to have to practice for me a new job.

TiredFarmer
Level 7

Sorry that was me.  I couldn't find but I have marked it solved.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

I would go to bed early and look at it fresh tomorrow, when you aren't so tired.  Take a look just to make sure that you didn't miss checking a box or something along the way.  If it still looks wonky, we can go with plan B.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

Except it isn't solved.... I suggest you go back & 'un-solve' it until it gets solved (hopefully, soon.  I'd hate for you to give up farming 😉)

( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

But, but , but, if you unsolve it, that could short me on this month's Intuit bonus 😯

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

oops...  sorry....  didn't realize YOU got the solve.  I "know" how important those points/solves are to you.

( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

It is really, really important.  I'm trying to save up enough money to go on a trip to Target.  Once in awhile it feels good to mingle with high society instead of just mixing in with the Walmart crowd.  I hope nobody from Walmart sees this ------------------ I would hate to have it impact my new job next month.

Slava Ukraini!
TiredFarmer
Level 7

Okay this Tired Farmer shut the computer down and took a nap and did the refresh updates again and still nothing carrying to Schedule D or front of 1040....I quick zoomed to another installment sale and entered the information exactly as the one that was already in my return and both forms carried to the Schedule D and front of the return.  I have deleted the new duplicate and my figures are still correct but I am at a loss at what has caused this issue and if someone figures it out I would try my best not to duplicate that mistake!  So Thank you to everyone that has helped me work this out and I hope you all get "points" for solving this.  I really appreciate you.

sjrcpa
Level 15

I though Daylight Savings Time was supposed to help farmers. 😅

Ex-AllStar
TiredFarmer
Level 7

Posting this message here because I thought the ones I wanted to say I appreciate all the help you put in this forum might see it.....so Thank You ALL very much and I hope you all have Happy and Safe Holidays and the next tax year goes smoother than this one!   Thanks Again!

IRonMaN
Level 15

It’s always nice to hear someone appreciates the time the regulars spend here.  I hope you also have a good holiday season.  Get a good rest and hopefully you won’t be so tired next year!

Slava Ukraini!
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

Thus Bark the Joshua....  (I don't know the old English for bark.  I only know "spake", but Joshua doesn't speak...)

@IRonMaN originally posted this on Mary 3.  I hadn't join "the community" at that time.  I joined in April, when I wanted to get some idea from my peers, on something that I no longer remember.  April seemed like months ago.

But then, OMG April was months ago - months have gone by, as today is October sweet 16.  Congrats everyone.  Hope you had a soft landing on the past day or two - and for those with an amazing practice - or three or four.

I peeped into this because FeMan (FE, iron, got it?) mentioned something about cruises.  I was still woozy when I got on this, earlier this morning, before dozing off again, an innocently thought Intuit was going to be a lottery for a cruise ticket,  After all, over the years, the only freebie I got from the company - Lacerte then - was the DOS or Windows mouse pad. 

Anyway, focusing back on @IRonMaN's point....  this is a public forum.  I have no problem seeing new users coming in.  Neither do I have problem seeing newbies' questions, even if - in plain sight - many were asked without the Askers' basic understanding of the tax law or a simple reading of the instructions.  In one of my earlier posts, you could infer that I'm used to the next generations' attitude of learning.  Gates and Jobs and the like had created  a new world that we can just click and click and we'd get the answers.  Why the heck do we have to learn it the old ways?  As I mentioned in that message, a good friend (a professor in finance) tells me how, over the years, more and more of his students - graduate students - do NOT know how to solve two equations with two unknowns.        

So, back to @IRonMaN 's point, this is a free forum, and it's a free world.  One of Intuit's goal is to make sure its business is sustainable.  Why would the company want to screen which of its users - fee paying customers - get to ask questions here?  Companies are arrogant in their own ways, but Intuit is NOT going to appear arrogant by "screening" what are smart questions and what aren't.  It's simply NOT its business function.

Anyway, my take is this, folks are free to come in and ask.  I'm free to ignore them.  Especially questions that are - in plain sight - asked by folks who don't know how to solve two equations with two unknowns.  Let alone questions like "what do equations have to do with unknowns"?

It tickles me pink to see comments like "this is a forum for pro... blah blah blah"  For each comment like this, two of my kinder and gentler colleagues would give then the answers, and Bod by buddy would even ask those "lets find out the rest of the story" questions.  

Just ignore them.  Let those student find out about the real world when they graduate.... 

Anyway, if you've made this far, let me say, again: "Congratulations - with a capital C - on your soft landing!!  And wish you (don't hate me for this) many, many more to come.... 

@IRonMaN  please mark this the solution.  So that folks can find the solution directly.

(And so that I'm another step to my goal for a million-solutions badge.)

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

March 3... Not Mary 3.  Still woozy, I almost once again blamed it on auto correction, but there is NO speel cheek her, is theer? 

IRonMaN
Level 15

But I think you are barking up the wrong tree.  The original post was due to the over whelming number of posts that were being asked by obvious Turddotaxx users at that period of time.  It is a free world and those users have their own free forum so they should feel free to use it and leave this forum for the users of Intuit's professional software.  I have no problem answering questions for folks that are new to the profession or just need a little help now and then with basic questions.  You are new to the forum and haven't put the time and effort some of the other folks have put into this place.  After awhile it gets frustrating having your time eaten up reading posts that really don't belong here when that time could be used to help other preparers.  Once upon a time I used to read pretty much every post that popped up here.  But that dates back prior to this version of the forum.  Back then this place was more user friendly to find recent posts and to keep on top of those that you participated in.  But over time, a number of the users that used to make this place fun have either passed away, retired or just have gotten fed up with Intuit and left.  Also over the years there were some moderators that really seemed to care about the folks visiting this place and others that didn't really give a rip.  As I said, once up one a time I read pretty much all of the posts that came through on a daily basis.  After years of dealing with Intuit BS and this place just losing some of it's luster, these days I will check in and read a few posts, make a few comments and get back to the job of taking care of my clients.  They actually do care about me and they actually are willing to pay me for my time.  I guess folks like my tired farmer friend and other folks that do appreciate the help, keep me from just disappearing from this place.  I always have to keep in mind the reason I come here is to help other preparers ------------ not to help some Intuit employees get a feather in their cap because this place record 50 solved questions today which makes them and this forum a complete success.😬  

Slava Ukraini!
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

Perhaps a tinier tree, but definitely not the wrong tree.  

I do no know how Intuit market or set up this so called "community".  Unless proven otherwise, I will maintain my idea that this is an open forums.  I have a life principle that I do not teach other people's kids and this principle extends to adults who are too lazy to learn.

Regardless, let's say someone did sneak in and ask questions when they weren't supposed to.  Honestly, So what?  I don't care much about the responses coming from a high horse that tell them to go away.  If they didn't belong here but managed to sneak in, deal with Intuit. 

As Mr. fox said:  "Someone upsets you and instead of smiling and moving on, you zing them." That was what I was referring to.  

Yes, maybe you've spent the time checking out a question that didn't belong here.  Why waste more time in getting upset or replying in an angle that the Asker would NOT understand?  I come here also to help out each other.  When I had questions, I did get good feedback.  That is why I'm here, too.  But the minute I found out I spent too much time here than what I intended to or budgeted for my purpose, I'd reexamine my approach to this public forum. After perhaps 5 days, I was able to scroll down to pick out ones the ones to ignore.

IN any case, my congrats and wish to you and everyone else shall stand.  

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Actually, when this place had a front door, the door mat said this place was for tax professionals.  Now there are so many doors, I don’t know which one is the front door.  Instead of requiring a customer account number to access this place, which I believe is somewhat common for other companies, Intuit has a beautiful macro attached to your reply function:

“Hi there,

You’ve come to an Intuit site supporting tax professionals, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

Cheers!”

That does seem to imply that Intuit does somewhat acknowledge that this place is often visited by folks that are not the intended users.

With that said, over the years I have helped a fair number of DIYers, so I don’t have a heart made of stone.  And I don’t go out my way to chase them away.  My beef isn’t with those folks.  My beef is with Intuit for continuing to use us as Turddotaxx support.  For years a number of folks have expressed their frustrations with the way this place has been run.  But that has always fallen on deaf ears because Intuit doesn’t care diddly about the folks that volunteer their time here.  They are only interested in good reviews in their Mickey Mouse surveys and how many Intuit “Customers” have walked away with solutions to their problems.

But thanks for posting.  It gave me a good reminder of reasons why Intuit is looked on as the Evil Empire.  As I referenced above, Intuit has had a number of great employees helping out here over the years.  Of course, over time the good folks seem to get canned or promoted to Intuit’s Siberia office.  Although they have had some great employees, the entity itself sucks.  

Slava Ukraini!
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

With that said, over the years I have helped a fair number of DIYers, so I don’t have a heart made of stone.  And I don’t go out my way to chase them away.  My beef isn’t with those folks. 

Paraphrasing the Peanuts, you're a good man, Ironman Brown!!

Yet, a final thought and I shall wrap up..

At the Monterey Bay Aquarium, which I really, really miss (haven't visited for over 23 months and a few days due to COVID), a sign says:

Do not feed the sea lions.

If you feed them, they lose the instinct to find food for themselves (not exactly the point here), and more will come for food. 

I don't feed the sea lions there.  I don't have a heart made of stone, either.

0 Cheers
TiredFarmer
Level 7

Came back here because I know the ones I want to see this might look just for the curiosity of it and if it is on paper I am pretty good but sometimes it is hard for me to make these machines do or say what is in/on my mind.  That said...THANK YOU to all of you who always help me out even when I am not good at posting! I have tried to "cheer" some more just not sure if it does any good but just want you all to know I really hope you all have a good year and I appreciate you and your advice and stories more than you know.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Thanks for the thanks!  Hopefully you will get a lot of rest after tax season so that you won't be so tired next year 😀

Slava Ukraini!
TiredFarmer
Level 7

May have to change my name 😊

IRonMaN
Level 15

Don’t go doing that - I won’t be able to recognize you if you changed your name

Slava Ukraini!