Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Form 941's still due April 30? IRS says they are not accepting paper returns.

2dogkayak
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

The IRS confirmed the payroll tax deadline of April 30, 2020 remains unchanged even as the IRS moved the income tax deadline from April 15, 2020 to July 15, 2020. However, the IRS automatically provides a 10-day grace period if all the deposit payments were made on time. 

View solution in original post

9 Comments 9
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Payroll reports go to a different type of service center...Id make sure you get a postmark on it, even if it ends up getting returned to you.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
2dogkayak
Level 2

Are electronic form 941 returns also due on April 30?

I have to go to my client's office to send, and I do not want to meet face to face until the virus is contained.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

As far as Ive heard payroll reports are still due on 4/30

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@2dogkayak wrote:

I do not want to meet face to face until the virus is contained.

I hate to tell you, but the virus won't be "contained" for many months yet.

BobKamman
Level 15

No, IRS is not saying that.  They are saying that they are not processing paper returns until their Service Centers reopen (which will probably be sooner than healthy).  And 941's are processed in the same places as 1040's.  If a payment is sent with them, they got to a private bank "lockbox" first.   I haven't see any reports of whether those are still in operation, or how they manage to process paperwork (like, millions of credit card and mortgage payments) when IRS can't. 

The IRS confirmed the payroll tax deadline of April 30, 2020 remains unchanged even as the IRS moved the income tax deadline from April 15, 2020 to July 15, 2020. However, the IRS automatically provides a 10-day grace period if all the deposit payments were made on time. 

2dogkayak
Level 2

Thanks, I appreciate the courteous, professional reply.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

@DKarjane-PayMELLC "IRS automatically provides a 10-day grace period if all the deposit payments were made on time (i.e., now timely if paid by Dec. 31, 2021/ Dec. 31, 2022 under the CARES Act)"

Only the 6.2% employer half of the FICA tax can be deferred until those dates.   Returns still must be filed by April 30 and the rest of the tax paid by then. For example, if your payroll is $5,000 and you withheld $500 in income tax, you pay all of the withheld income tax ($500) and FICA/Medicare tax ($382.50), plus the employer share of the Medicare tax ($72.50) by April 30.  Then you can put off paying the rest ($310).  

2dogkayak
Level 2

Thanks,  Very clear explanation

0 Cheers