Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone having difficulty E filing a 1040X for 2020 return that was filed electronically last year? The IRS keeps denying it.

zandw619
Level 3

I have spoken to Intuit help desk and they say it is a system issue. . 

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

That's a YOU error  🙂

You need to enter the current EFile PIN date that the taxpayer signs the new amended 8879, its still got the old original PIN date left in there from the original filing.  (Fed Info Worksheet, Part VI)

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@zandw619 wrote:

I have spoken to Intuit help desk and they say it is a system issue. . 

Support says it IS a system issue?

whats the rejection report your seeing?

zandw619
Level 3

IND-689-01 The tax year of the "primarySignatureDt" in the Return Header must be equal to the processing year. This return was rejected due to incorrect signature date. The taxpayer's signature date must be in the current processing year. 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

That's a YOU error  🙂

You need to enter the current EFile PIN date that the taxpayer signs the new amended 8879, its still got the old original PIN date left in there from the original filing.  (Fed Info Worksheet, Part VI)

zandw619
Level 3

But since the IRS doesn’t get the 8879 how would they know the date? The Intuit system accepted the return!

0 Cheers
taxiowa
Level 8
Level 8

Just enter the date PIN entered on the info worksheet as something in 2022 and move on.  That is what Lisa means.  I know you entered PIN earlier, but fibs never hurt.

zandw619
Level 3

Thanks, it worked.

I had the same issue with date, return was rejected.  I changed the date, e-filed and received error message of this return was already e-filed.  When I checked the EF Center view, the client's return type is "federal return" rather than "federal amended return".  Part VII box for file federal amended return electronically has an "X" in it.  What needs to be done to get it back to "federal amended return" so I can e-file the return?

0 Cheers
zandw619
Level 3

I'm not sure what else needs to be done, but when I followed all the advice above it worked for me!

Taxes-by-Rocky
Level 7

Last time I checked (a month or so ago), the Form 1040-X in ProSeries was the wrong version for filing certain prior year amended returns.  It appears that the IRS had a form revision in July(?) 2021, that wasn't actually released until around November(?) 2021, and the tax software companies (ProSeries anyway) had not yet had time to get the revised form 1040-X into their software system.  See instructions for form 1040-X on the revision dates to use for the different tax years....then look at the PS version your trying to file (i.e., print preview).

sjrcpa
Level 15

"the tax software companies (ProSeries anyway) had not yet had time to get the revised form 1040-X into their software system."

You're being generous. I'd say they chose not to.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers