Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone experiencing delays in receiving IRS acknowledgements

dcs_cpa
Level 2

Usually I receive acknowledgments within an hour.  It has been about 24 hours since I  transmitted 1040 and no ack received confirming acceptance of the return?  Is there something going on I'm not aware of?

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mm1
Level 5

RESOLVED FINALLY! Got the alert this morning - Friday 6-25 and my returns filed Monday all were accepted on Thursday. I am thankful to put this behind me! 

View solution in original post

61 Comments 61
bdp
Level 3

I am having the same issue.  Federal has not been acknowledged by IRS and NYS has not been transmitted to NYS.  Intuit has received it but has not sent it to NYS.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Theres a weird Efiling reject glitch that cropped up over the weekend.  They are holding returns until it can get worked out.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-news-and-updates/discussion/e-file-error-x0000-005...

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
mm1
Level 5

I too am having the same issue. The federal has been sent to the IRS but the State returns have not even been transmitted to the States from yesterday. I see no alert from Proseries about this issue. Has anyone contacted Proseries yet?

mm1
Level 5

I get no such error message. I hope the fix for that also fixes my problem.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
The fed needs to be accepted before the state return will go to the state...if fed rejects the state rejects along with it....so it stands to reason that if your fed returns are still pending the state return wont be sent to state yet.

bdp
Level 3

I filed w filed 6 returns at the same time.  The only problems was with the high wealth client.

dcs_cpa
Level 2

The return I filed and am waiting to get the federal 1040 ack back is pretty standard nothing out of ordinary going on with it.  No additional schedules besides schedule A.

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

There was no in product alert. Ashley sent a community announcement yesterday. There is a known issue and is currently being fixed. 

I guess patience is the key word here.

JCTaxAdv
Level 3

I e-flied 3 returns yesterday (Monday 6/22/20) evening. The one Form 1065 went through and received an acceptance confirmation from the IRS. The two others were 1040s and they are stuck on hold. So, it seems that not all efiled returns are being held up.

Any updates on how long it will take to get this fixed??

Have client waiting

0 Cheers

Was googling and cch seemed to have some idea on how to fix this:

https://support.cch.com/kb/solution.aspx/IRS-Reject-Code-X0000-005-Tips-for-troubleshooting-schema-v...

Maybe try these??

0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Not much we can do on our end. This is a programming/Intuit issue. We, unfortunately need to wait while they try to figure this one out. 

Muffinman2020
Level 3

I re-transmitted after the rejection code X0000-005, and it has been more than 24 hours but the status still shows "Return Sent to IRS" and no acknowledgements. The same thing happened to you, right?

0 Cheers
bdp
Level 3

I did not get a rejection code.

Tried it several times. Initially, the error message. Then, the  "Return Sent to IRS" holdover message - has been about a day and a half. 

Am concerned, as need to get returns over to clients. Did send Proseries a link from another software company cch - on troubleshooting for just this type of error. But, didn't see any update info from Proseries other than they are working on it. A bit disappointing. Quite a long downtime - day 4

mdtao31
Level 7

such a shame to pay all this money for program and have issues like this.they seem to have no trouble when it comes to debiting payment.sad situation

Larry

mm1
Level 5

I too am concerned as I have several returns sitting out there waiting. If I had not gotten on the Community page I would not have known about this because I have gotten no error message, no alerts, no nothing from Proseries to this point. Thank heavens for this community page. I just checked and mine have still not gone through either. Proseries needs to at least let us know the status of things and an estimate of how much longer they think it will be. 

dcs_cpa
Level 2

Definitely Intuit should be giving us status updates as to when this problem will be resolved.  This is after all crunch time with July 15 due date fast approaching.   

dcs_cpa
Level 2

Absolutely a status update by intuit is necessary.  I have a client in my office right now picking up returns and signing authorizations for federal 1040 returns.  I would really like to efile their returns but what good does that do now?

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Yellow banner alert at 9:44am for me yesterday about Failed Schema rejections from IRS and Intuit would be holding returns until it was fixed....looks like IRS is holding those that made it to them before Intuit started holding them, rather than rejecting them and having preparers just turn around and resubmit only to reject again.

Heres the article for those that didnt read the alert

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-news-and-updates/discussion/e-file-error-x0000-005...

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

I actually concur with those above. As this problem continues without a fix, something from Intuit would be nice. 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I filed 2 returns yesterday, just to see what would happen...one was accepted, the other still at IRS...the one stuck at IRS has a Sch C, the one that was accepted, only had a few 1099Rs and some investment income....I wonder if the forms in the return have something to do with the issue...............oh maybe not just a Sch C....I had 3 I filed on Monday afternoon and all 3 got accepted, and one of those had a Sch C, so that blows that theory.

dcs_cpa
Level 2

The return I am waiting for an ack for was pretty straightforward, no schedules c,d,e.  This is why we need an update from intuit.  The alert says not to retransmit.  My return that is on hold isn't a retransmit...this was the first time I transmitted the return and am still waiting for the ack.

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Lisa, did you file them after Intuit put a hold?

0 Cheers

Intuit should be giving clients regular updates with details on what's being done, and when we can expect a resolution. 

Also, workaround solutions. 

Maybe they can release the returns they have been holding, so that they can be resubmitted. 

Will they be issuing refunds for the downtime??

dcs_cpa
Level 2

transmitted the 1040 1:30pm June 22...status remains "return sent to IRS".

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@taxprocommunitymember1 wrote:

Intuit should be giving clients regular updates with details on what's being done, and when we can expect a resolution. 

Also, workaround solutions. 

Maybe they can release the returns they have been holding, so that they can be resubmitted. 

Will they be issuing refunds for the downtime??

Youre missing the point...IRS is rejecting the returns thats why theyre being held up...if Intuit released them and you resubmit now, IRS will just hold them until they fix the problem and then reject so you can resubmit.

mm1
Level 5

I just don't get it at this point. I e-filed one today 6-24-20 and it was accepted but the others I filed Monday are still held up. The one accepted today had the same exact forms as a couple of the ones still held up. No differences at all except for different client name and different e-file date, all three had refunds. This makes no sense to me. What makes one get accepted and two get held? 

dcs_cpa
Level 2

Kind of frustrating, my return I filed on Monday is still on hold too. Probably some fixes being done at some level but without any communication from Intuit your guess is as good as mine. I hope they give some sort of green light or product update soon so we can move forward confidently.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@mm1 wrote:

I just don't get it at this point. I e-filed one today 6-24-20 and it was accepted but the others I filed Monday are still held up. The one accepted today had the same exact forms as a couple of the ones still held up. No differences at all except for different client name and different e-file date, all three had refunds. This makes no sense to me. What makes one get accepted and two get held? 

Its hit and miss here too...not sure what makes some get hung up and others run through just fine.

Any updates from Proseries?

1) Can they release the returns, so that it will go through, and we can retry - as some are able to e-file recently?

2) Noticed that the program seems to continuously have updates, but it's almost like it's running in an endless loop...

0 Cheers
Peggy6
Level 1

But we are not getting an error message. My e-filed returns were received by Intuit 48 hours ago.  I am disappointed that Intuit has not sent a message for those of us who did not receive an error message when e-filing.  

Should we just wait to e-file any other clients until our currently e-filed clients returns are accepted by the Federal and State?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

They stopped rejecting them and started holding them instead...if they reject and people send them back through, they'll just reject again until its fixed.

I sent in 6 returns and 5 of the 6 were accepted, so its not all that have been affected. 

All the extensions I sent these past few days were accepted as well.

0 Cheers
JCTaxAdv
Level 3

I have refrained from efiling any more 1040 returns since identifying that 2 of my 1040 returns efiled Monday 6/22/20 remain in efile hold limbo. In both cases, I have the taxpayers set to electronically pay their taxes balances owed via electronic funds withdrawal on Monday 6/29/20. Many of us know how this works in the real world, right? Taxpayers with reasonably large amounts of tax owed get instruction from their tax preparers to be sure that they transfer funds to the correct bank account so that there are sufficient funds available to pay the tax being electronically withdrawn in time to prevent insufficient funds or NSF fees from their bank. If the tax does not get paid on the right day (in my cases 6/29/20), because the tax return does not go through the efile acceptance process in time, then in the real world a lot of households just chug along and the next round of groceries get bought, the monthly Netflix subscription gets paid, the bank balance in question gets lower - invariably too low to cover the tax owed to the IRS, whenever the tax ends up getting e-paid. And we are not sure if the eventual electronic funds withdrawal will even go through at all on say 7/2/20 because the ProSeries software is set for 6/29/20 to pay the tax.

Will we get the opportunity to change the withdrawal date for e-payment to a later date, before our returns on hold eventually go through the efile system? Or will e-payments just not occur, if efile processing happens after the scheduled e-pay date? Will some of my clients feel duped by me, if I eventually have to print them paper payment vouchers for use with hand written paper checks to mail in on their own (after I have extolled the virtues and ease of using paperless e-payment)? If some clients eventually want me to cover the NSF fees that their banks may charge to them, would I request that the IRS repay me for those $30 fees, or would I request that Intuit reimburse me for those $30 fees? Since my engagement letters with my clients covers my tax business for such things - I suppose I might advise my clients to contact either or both the IRS or Intuit to request their own reimbursement for the possible bank overdraft fees? Really?

The primary thing I see in this situation is an opportunity for client faith in my work to become eroded. That frustrates me, as I imagine it does for many others. I am not even certain if I should be expressing my concern toward Intuit or toward the IRS – because there has been virtually no ongoing communication from Inuit ProSeries on any progress for resolving this issue.

I know that there must be many at Intuit ProSeries who are working hard on a fix, at least I hope so. My request to those Intuit professionals is: work harder and faster, please. And keep us informed on progress, even if a solution is not yet clear or easily described.
This sh*t matters!

Were the ones that got accepted on your first try?

Was the one that was not accepted a foreign one?

Do you have any idea when they might get some kind of movement on this?

0 Cheers

Do you know if reinstalling the software will help?

0 Cheers

Yes. Reputational damage to our firm is our key concern, beyond making sure the return gets properly filed on time for the client and any taxes paid on time.

Really disappointed at Proseries. Need a reliable tax software. Communications was totally lacking, and that makes us think that we need to change tax software provider next time around. 

Good luck!

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The ones I had accepted were on the first try. 

Reinstalling the software will not help, this is an issue between IRS and Intuit after the return has been transmitted.

This kind of thing has happened a few times in the past, IRS has to fix it on their end, there's nothing we can do but wait.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

This kind of thing has happened in prior years. 

Once IRS corrects the issue the returns will officially be rejected back to us (they won't reject them until the problem is fixed, or its just an endless loop of sending and rejecting), you can then make changes to the direct debit date if needed and resubmit the returns.

I don't understand why people think this is reflects poorly on themselves or their firm, you're at the mercy of things beyond your control, I've never had a client that couldn't understand this.  There is still 3 weeks till the due date, everything will work out with plenty of time to spare......with all that everyone has endured so far in 2020, this should be no sweat to deal with!

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

I think its more of lack of communication and the not knowing. But I agree.....it will work itself out. 

mm1
Level 5

Day 4 and no change. I tried to do a chat through Proconnect and that was totally useless. All she could say was that once they are sent to the IRS through efile in their system, they go straight to the IRS and state authorities. Once they accept or reject the return then you will receive a confirmation. She advised called the IRS! When I told her that was a joke she said once a return is efiled, it is sent to the IRS and they do not have a way to check with the IRS for when the returns will be accepted or rejected. Then when I said okay, then no help from Proseries or the IRS and we are in limbo with extensions coming up and returns on hold because we are scared to efile until we know the issue is resolved, she tells me she doesn't work for Proseries, she works for Proconnect, but she could give me their telephone number.  End of chat...

I am beyond frustrated at this point. High dollar clients will be really pissed with me if I can't get their returns through timely. Has anyone been able to get through on the telephone help line? I tried, wait time is hours and I can't stay on hold hours. 

mdtao31
Level 7

its the lack of communication that sucks!!

EDDIE
Level 4

Amen brother!

dcs_cpa
Level 2

Update...1040 that I transmitted Monday was finally accepted Thursday afternoon.  Thanks for this group otherwise I would really be in the dark!

Absolutely frustrating! You shouldn't have had to have gone through that. 

Actually telephone and waited until I got a human being. She said a dedicated team was working on it and that the error portion was fixed, and that they were updating the system. 

FYI for the future, they did take my email down and said that they will email me with updates every 24 hours. Think they should make this a basic feature for Proseries, so that people don't have to initially the constant updating. 

Proseries is a relatively easy to use software, although missing some key forms/capabilities for more complex returns, but should definitely bring back the online chat feature at least, for future issues. 

Good luck - especially with your clients!

0 Cheers
mm1
Level 5

RESOLVED FINALLY! Got the alert this morning - Friday 6-25 and my returns filed Monday all were accepted on Thursday. I am thankful to put this behind me! 

Nise
Level 1

I am having a problem receiving the IRS acknowledgement on 1 return; all of the other returns e-filed afterward has been accepted.  Anyone having a similar problem?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ive got some delayed CA acks, but Fed seems to be ok....every now and then one will get hung up...

try this:  instead of using Receive Acks, highlight the file and choose Update Acks of Selected Returns (right under Receive Acks in the drop down menu) see if that pulls it in.

EDDIE
Level 4

Only one or two due to ID PIN numbers . 

0 Cheers