Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ANYONE ELSE STILL HAVING ISSUES WITH PROGRAM SHUTTING DOWN?

TracisTax
Level 2

I have ran and re ran the proseries updates off the start menu and today is the worst!  Especially during the error check and during efile process.  Also, why is BASIC excluded from weeding out the EDD clients?  We literally  have to go 1 by 1 to figure out who had EDD that we already filed on!  While I'm in here I might as well add to e-signatures.....5 clients lost data completely while in transit to be sent to email.  20 years and this has had the most trying one for sure.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

34 Comments 34
ceciengcpasf
Level 3

Yes, still getting shutdown.  We efile a few clients at a time to limit damage just in case it goes down. 

TracisTax
Level 2

I only efile 1 at a time. still the same shut down,

lucrecia
Level 4

same here, its driving me nuts!

clr600
Level 8

Same here I did the update repair twice does not work.

ORLANDO

IRonMaN
Level 15

Do you mean - @Orlando   ?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
lisakayeschmidt
Level 3

Mine is constantly shutting down also, as is everyone's in our office.  We have the network version.  Even efiling one person at a time, it still crashes.  Very frustrating.  Tried the Update repair tool and it makes no difference.

Orlando
Intuit Alumni

I'm sorry for the frustration. 

We know that some users have entered this state by way of an update partially failing (some of the files get updated; some don't because they are locked).  We think we've figured out why that happens in most cases and will have a fix soon. To get back into a stable state,

• Restart your machine
  • Go to the Start Menu and Choose ProSeries 2020 -> Tools Repair Updates

If you've done that and it's still failing, then we need help isolating why this is happening.

If you get a dialog titled "ProSeries Crash Feedback", just enter "For Orlando" from your userId here, provide as much detail as you can in terms of what you where doing at the time it shut down and submit.

If it's just shutting down without any dialog, reopen ProSeries, choose Help -> Send Logs, and email the resulting .zip file (saved to your desktop) to proseries_engineering@intuit.com.  Then we'll provide further questions and instructions there.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Thanks Orlando

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
lisakayeschmidt
Level 3

Okay, crashed again.  Logged back in, went to Help, chose "Send Logs", and received this:  "There was an error creating the zip file", lol.  I'm ready to give up.  Good thing I don't pay too much for the program, sigh.

Orlando
Intuit Alumni

That might be a clue. Perhaps there's something with permissions or with saving files.  Can you email me at proseries_engineering@intuit.com, including as an attachment the following file:

[ProSeries installation directory]\32bit\logs\proseries.txt

Where ProSeries Installation Directory is probably c:\ProWin20 or c:\BasWin20

0 Cheers
clr600
Level 8

@Orlando Orlando

Sent a file to you

IRACPA4U
Level 3

Will do!  Mine is crashing in the print process.............

TracisTax
Level 2

Is anyone getting any solutions to this issue today?  I am crashing at the efile process and if I send to e signatures I loose all data and it crashes. grrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fredr
Level 4

I am crashing on efileing and while just using the program

ml1tucson
Level 2

I still am crashing upon various commands. This has been happening since 3/18/2021.  This is not good.  I have tried everything suggested and nothing works. Considering switching vendors at this point, even though that  will be a nightmare too..  

How do I uninstall and reinstall the program? Will my data files be lost if I do this? Lots of returns in progress or  waiting to be filed. 

please help.

gbman
Level 3

I would like to know when, this is going to be taking seriously.  My computer keeps crashing at random times. I cannot E-file any clients with out it crashing.  Please work on this problem, and do not dare send me a flyer to purchase next years program.

gbman
Level 3

I am not getting any help from support.  I have twice called to have supervisor call me back, they will not even do that.  Does anyone know if Drake is that this problem??????

andrew3
Level 2

Mine is still crashing... I wanted to get in on this thread so I don't have to keep looking for one.

lisakayeschmidt
Level 3

The Intuit team is working hard to try to figure this out.  I have been in contact with them and have been sending them information each time my program crashes, which has been at least a dozen times a day.  Hopefully they will contact you to see if you can provide any help.  This issue has them stumped as it only affects around 15 or so people. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

"as it only affects around 15 or so people"

I hope the person that told you that also doesn't also serve as an election official since they can't count for beans.

Slava Ukraini!
gbman
Level 3

Thanks for the update.  I also send them a dump file, we had loaded on our register.  Was over 1.5 gigabytes.  That will take them a while to decipher through 1.5 gigabytes.

0 Cheers
gbman
Level 3

Lets try a count.  Put GBMAN down as one of the 15.

Orlando
Intuit Alumni

I'm tracking 15 or so people who've emailed proseries_engineering@intuit.com.  I think we counted 40 on facebook. Whether it's 15, 40 or 400 we're working around the clock to figure things out. Thanks to a few folks who let us turn on advanced Windows debugging we now have a bit more information and are trying out a theory on a few customers this morning.

gbman
Level 3

After an extensive search, I think I have discovered the speech writer for either "Hillary" or Andrew Cuomo.

With all due respect, I do not believe this was being handled last Saturday & Sunday.  Now it is Thursday and no fix.

IRonMaN
Level 15

@Orlando 

How about putting an alert in the software telling folks that are having the problem to e-mail their logs and or whatever else would be helpful to that e-mail address to help solve the mystery?

Slava Ukraini!
Ernie
Level 9

@IRonMaN  you have got to be kidding... communication from Pro Series?  That will never happen.  They can't even tell us what they fixed when they update the program.

@Orlando  I really would like to know why we cannot be informed of what was fixed when a program is updated.  "

• Various form and electronic filing validation update

" is totally useless.  What did you fix?  If we have a client affected by what you fixed we deserve to know.

Dusty Ernie

karen0224
Level 2

I wonder how they figure only 15 or so people?  I have seen dozens of posts about this problem on various threads.  Many more are probably just not bothering to even comment as it seem to not do much good.

0 Cheers
lisakayeschmidt
Level 3

Don't take that number "15" as a for sure, that is just about the number of people that Intuit is working with in trying to resolve this issue.  Sorry for the misguidance.

0 Cheers
Linda-Sunshine
Level 3

ProSeries Basic is shutting down whenever. Close one client and start to open another.

So, the problem is not JUST when you try to e-file.  I tried the so-called fix...It didn't!!!~ 

0 Cheers
RCBCPA
Level 3

3-26-2021:  Same issue for Maine Users of Pro-series.  Pro-series shuts down during transmit process. It needs to be corrected ASAP.  Please and Thank-you.

0 Cheers
AnhNgoc
Level 4

Everything look good with new Pro Series update on Mar 27th evening !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Orlando
Intuit Alumni

Thursday night we were able to reproduce the frequent crashing issue on 2 of my school laptops and worked up two changes that prevented the issue on those machines as well as the machines of a few customers we worked directly with.  We deployed those as an update last night, and confirmed this morning with a few others.  The first will kick in automatically after you update and restart ProSeries.  If that doesn’t work there is a new Help Menu Option called “Enable ProSeries Safe Mode”.  Enable that and restart ProSeries. I believe there will be an in product alert and/or community article soon to offer more detail.

I apologize for how frustrating this is and wish I had a more definitive and clear guarantee of a fix, but as we’ve seen this week this is the third separate issue we’ve identified (in addition to the bad Microsoft update and the issue with partial updates).

Ernie
Level 9

I installed the update and I am still crashing.

Dusty Ernie

ceciengcpasf
Level 3

Orlando,

Did a tools-proseries update this morning.  So far so good.  No crashes yet.  If it does, will do the safe mode approach and let you know.

What's the difference between doing just an update and a safe mode fix ? Also what processes were conflicting with each other causing the crash ?

I learned a lot fr you as you gave us instructions on finding errors via windows events viewer.  Give us a simple laymans explanation of the problem.  Will make us better end users.  Thanks