Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else having returns flagged for the $600 stimulus?

jo1
Level 4

I have several clients who received a letter saying they would get the $600 stimulus in the form of a debit card, but they never got the debit card, so we claimed it on the return.  I see them hung up now with the IRS processing.  Anyone else run into this and is there a solution?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
rbynaker
Level 13

The IRS is not going to pay it out again if their computer thinks it already went out.  Your clients can get a replacement debit card, see E2:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-first-economic-impact-payment-topic-e-e...

A2. If your EIP card is lost or destroyed, you may request a free replacement through MetaBank® Customer Service. To request a replacement call 800-240-8100 (select your language and then select option 2 from main menu) and enter the last six digits of the Social Security number of the person who is listed first on your tax return.

The Economic Impact Payment Card is sponsored by the Treasury Department’s Bureau of the Fiscal Service, managed by Money Network Financial, LLC and issued by Treasury’s financial agent, MetaBank®, N.A. The EIP Card will be sent in a in a plain white envelope which prominently displays the U.S. Treasury seal and “Economic Impact Payment Card” in the return address. The envelope will also have the following notation:  “Not a bill or an advertisement. Important information about your Economic Impact Payment.”  The Visa name is on the front of the Card and the name of the issuing bank, MetaBank®, N.A. on the back of the card. If you have an Economic Impact Payment Card, visit EIPcard.com for more information.

George4Tacks
Level 15

@rbynaker posted for EIP1 ($1,200). Here is the same for EIP2 ($600)

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/second-eip-faqs

If your EIP card is lost or destroyed, you may request a free replacement through MetaBank® Customer Service. To request a replacement call 800-240-8100 (select your language and then select option 2 from main menu) and enter the last six digits of the Social Security number of the person who is listed first on your tax return.

EIP Cards are sponsored by the Treasury Department’s Bureau of the Fiscal Service, managed by Money Network Financial, LLC and issued by Treasury’s financial agent, MetaBank®, N.A. The EIP Card was sent in a white envelope with a return address of “Economic Impact Payment Card,” and displays the U.S. Department of the Treasury Seal. The card has the Visa name on the front and the issuing bank, MetaBank®, N.A. on the back. Information included with the EIP card explains that this is your Economic Impact Payment. If you have an Economic Impact Payment Card, visit EIPcard.com for more information.

ADDITIONALLY

If you received your payment by check and it was lost, stolen or destroyed, you should request a payment trace so the IRS can determine if your payment was cashed. See How do I request a payment trace to track my first or second Economic Impact Payments?

If a trace is initiated and the IRS determines that the check wasn’t cashed, the IRS will credit your account for that payment but the IRS cannot reissue your payment. Instead, you will need to claim the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 tax return if eligible.

Note: If you are filing your 2020 tax return before your trace is complete, do not include the payment amount on line 16 or 19 of the Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet. If you do, you may receive a notice saying your 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit was changed, but an adjustment will be made after the trace is complete and it is determined your payment has not been cashed. You will not need to take any additional action to receive the credit.

If you do not request a trace on your payment, you may receive an error when claiming the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 tax return. Since the payment was issued to you, you may not be eligible for any credit.

If you were issued a payment and have not received it at all, see How do I request a payment trace to track my first or second Economic Impact Payments?  

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
IRonMaN
Level 15

"but they never got the debit card, so we claimed it on the return"

Not all of the IRS agents just fell off of the turnip truck.  "I never got my stimulus payment - wink, wink, nudge, nudge".  And right after they get their 1040 refund check they stroll down to Walmart and use that cash card to buy that new 698 inch TV.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

Those notices announcing the debit card were sent about two months after the debit cards, which looked like junk mail.  But it's sort of like the old rules on claiming a casualty loss.  Don't take it on your tax return if insurance is available and you just didn't want to file a claim.