Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to filter Homebase view for filed tax returns with Unemployment Compensation

jesusbowls
Level 2

The available fields in HomeBase view for Form 1040: Individual do not seem to include Unemployment Compensation.  With the upcoming need to amend any tax return already filed that includes Unemployment Compensation, I'm trying to figure out an efficient way to view these returns so that I can proactively contact the clients.

Thanks!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

8 Comments 8
IRonMaN
Level 15

You can't amend returns yet.  By the time that you can amend, Intuit should have a way to assist with that predicament. 

Slava Ukraini!
jesusbowls
Level 2

Yes, I understand that.  I am looking to contact the impacted clients ASAP.  I'm not concerned about filing the actual amendments yet.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

But what are you going to tell them - Congress changed a law and some day I am going to amend your return, but I just don't know when?  Why don't you contact them after you can give them some definitive answers?

Slava Ukraini!
jesusbowls
Level 2

Yes, that's what I'm going to tell them.  There are some cases where customers had balances due, which they are intending to pay with check/voucher, and I want to tell them to not make the payments yet if they haven't already done so.  Also, I believe in proactive customer service.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Yeah, I was proactive - I have been keeping a list of clients with unemployment just in case the bill passed - and it did.  Much simpler than relying on Intuit to provide me with a list someday.  

Slava Ukraini!
jesusbowls
Level 2

Have I done something to offend you?  You seem angry that I'm asking about this.

I did not keep a manual list.  I wish I had done so.  Now that I'm at this point I'd like to contact the impacted clients.  Homebase has ways to filter or sort by various attributes within the return, but I can't figure out if UI is one such attribute.  If it is, please tell me how.  If it's not possible, please let me know that. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

No you didn't anger me.  You said you were being proactive and I just pointed out that I was too.  In the meantime you could sort your homebase by the amount of balance dues and check the larger balance dues to see if there was any unemployment related to those returns.

Slava Ukraini!
ljsmith2
Level 4

Last night, I was trying to figure an easy way to do this also.

The best that I could come up with was to create a Homebase view that has a column for those returns that have Schedule 1.

I made myself a list of clients with Schedule 1, then looked into each return to find the returns with unemployment.

It allowed me to alert these taxpayers that I was on top of this new development (now retroactive to 2020), that the details of how it will be handled are unknown, but I would keep them updated as soon as I find out. Most were appreciative of the update. I did not go into details, nor re-figure each return. Just a notice that there will be some changes down the road. Most likely after tax season whether the IRS corrects themselves, or an amend is necessary.

Hope this helps.

0 Cheers