Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

answer questions to irs when client receives a notice

corinnerichard
Level 3

have a client that received a bill for tax year 2019 client called irs and they stated that who ever prepared the tax has to call them to explain the data that was put in.  i am not a certified public acct. how can i proceed with this when i call the irs.  thank you very much

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

13 Comments 13
dkh
Level 15

You signed as paid preparer and have Third party designee?   Then you can call

IRonMaN
Level 15

Have you reviewed the notice?  A little odd that the IRS would just blow off the taxpayer and say they need to talk to the tax preparer to do some explaining.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You shouldn't need to call IRS....what does the notice say?  Compare it to the tax return, where is the discrepancy?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BobKamman
Level 15

"whoever prepared the tax has to call them"

When "them" means the taxpayer, that's true.  The answer IRS was trying to give the taxpayer was, "ask the preparer, not us."  Obviously that message didn't get across.  

qbteachmt
Level 15

@corinnerichard 

Don't start this Again. Follow up with the people here. They are trying to help.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
corinnerichard
Level 3

Sorry, my client had received a notice in mail from irs stating she owed more money. after my client called the irs and tried to explain to her what the discrepancy was, they stated she owed money on  a schedule c but she is not self employed, client could not understand the irs agent, so the agent said for her tax preparer to call the irs on her behalf.  she explained I am not a cpa nor have the power of attorney,any suggestions what I can do for her or what the steps I should take to show the irs she is not self employed. thank you so much for all your time.

0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11

Like someone posted above, if you are the paid preparer and third party designee you can call.

sjrcpa
Level 15

Get the letter. Read it. Write a response if it's wrong, or call as 3rd Party Designee..

This is a client service business. I don't understand your reluctance to serve your client.

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

Probably the first step is to figure out what year is involved.  If the client did not file a Schedule C, but the IRS received a 1099 for non-employee compensation in 2019 (or perhaps an earlier year), the notice would show who paid how much to her.  

dkh
Level 15

Have you actually seen this notice?  

IRonMaN
Level 15

Hey, I already asked that 6 hours ago 🤔

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

Third-party designee expires after a year.  Has anyone seen a CP-2000 lately?  It's rather late for 2018 but early for 2019 notices.  But then, the past year has been unusual.  

dkh
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

Hey, I already asked that 6 hours ago 🤔

Yes, but I said it so much nicer.  

0 Cheers