Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amortization of Rental Property Startup Expenses in excess of $5,000

gman7611
Level 1

I understand that I must amortize Startup Rental Expenses in excess of $5,000.  How do I process this in 2020 ProSeries Basic?  Is there a worksheet?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
linette
Level 5

Did you find the IRC box?  You have to enter the life and then I think there is a check box to take the $5,000.

Input is a series of entries starting at the top of the form and going to the bottom and when all are in the right sequence the system calculates.  

(they could make this easier to find.)

itonewbie
Level 15

§195(b)(1) is applicable only to active ToB.  Does the rental rise to the level of §162 ToB?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

As itonewbie indicated, if the rental does NOT rise to the level of a "Trade or Business", the "startup expenses" are not allowed.  I would think most costs incurred before if was available for rent would be added to the Basis of the property for depreciation.