Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amending returns that have been locked?

ritastone001
Level 5

Unemployment change now allows EIC for clients. Locked returns for clients who had already filed before unemployment tax law change. Question is when I go to amend the return, when unlocking the file new information immediately flows to the return. When preparing the 1040X the correct info will need to be entered manually?  Or is there a way to stop corrections when opening the file. I do have paper backups for these files but of course the first one I look at will have to be amended.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Going to take some adjusting entries to make the original look like the original that was filed...add back the UCE then activate the 1040X, then take the add back away.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Going to take some adjusting entries to make the original look like the original that was filed...add back the UCE then activate the 1040X, then take the add back away.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
ritastone001
Level 5

Thank you Lisa. Just trying to make this as painless as possible!

User FIDO 61
Level 8

IRS to recalculate taxes on unemployment benefits; refunds to start in May

There is no need for taxpayers to file an amended return unless the calculations make the taxpayer newly eligible for additional federal credits and deductions not already included on the original tax return.

IR-2021-71, March 31, 2021

♫ So if you ask me and I don't tell you
Bet your sweet bottom dollar I lied ♪
dkh
Level 15

IRS will adjust to increase EIC if it was on original return but will not adjust to add EIC.  Therefore, it may be necessary to file amended returns.