Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amending a 2016 return

harriet
Level 1

How do I amend a 2016 form 1040

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
George4Tacks
Level 15

This will be a paper tax return. https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/amend-tax-return/help/how-do-i-amend-an-individual-return-us...

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

Generally, to claim a refund, you must file Form 1040-X within 3 years after the date you filed your original return or within 2 years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later. Returns filed before the due date (without regard to extensions) are considered filed on the due date, and withholding is deemed to be tax paid on the due date. Special rules apply for refund claims relating to net operating losses, foreign tax credits, bad debts, and other issues. For more information, refer to the Instructions for Form 1040-X.

Not sure when they actually filed the 2016 return, but under normal filing conditions.... you would appear to be a tad late...

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
BobKamman
Level 15

Who said anything about a refund?

Or it could involve a state return with a longer statute of limitation for refund, but requiring an amended federal to be filed first.  

0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

I'm always optimistic!

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
0 Cheers