Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMENDING 2020 1040 FOR RECOVERY REBATE ERROR

dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

Anyone tried to amend a 2020 1040 for a recovery rebate error.  Taxpayers, after signing the 8879 and getting their refund already, decided to go to the irsidentify site and confirm their EIP 1 and 2 amounts.  Of course they found they had gotten less than the full amount they told us.  So when I bring up the 1040X, click on 2020 tax year, and then go back and correct the Recovery Rebate CR wks..nothing happens on the 1040X. I have to manually enter all amounts, both previous, and corrected, and in some cases, the actual change.  I can get to the amount needed as the refund, but never had to do all this before.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

10 Comments 10
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
that's because nothing on the return changes except the credit, the other numbers havent changed

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
its good to fill in both columns, Ive had them kicked back to me as incomplete when I leave the columns empty.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Im thinking paper filing (sent back as incomplete)....does it require the columns be filled for Efiling?

0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

but it doesn't even change the 'credits' amount.  Bizarre!  So on that line, I had to check the box for 8863, and the 'Other" box, and list Child tax  credit/Recovery Rebate Credit. It all works out, I just didn't expect to be so involved in the productiion!  HA

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
were they entitled to more than what they got?

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

I thought IRS would make adjustments if taxpayers didn't report the correct amount of EIPs.  Maybe that's only if they try to claim a credit on the return for stimulus that has already been issued.    

dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

yes... they had a reduced amount, but still less that what they were entitled to. But they had originally said, "We got all the stimulus monies"...

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
me too, I thought they were correcting math errors

Im so over all this stimulus crap!

0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

Just found this @dkh  and @Just-Lisa-Now- 

A1. If you didn't claim the credit on your original tax return, you will need to file an Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, Form 1040-X. The IRS will not calculate the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit for you if you did not enter any amount on your original tax return.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
but you did enter an amount, the wrong amount...I was just expecting IRS to correct for those.