Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amended NY non-resident return

linda2
Level 5

Can anyone tell me how to e-file an amended NY non-resident return?  In the EF center, it says duplicate social security number.  The instructions say to remove the other returns with the same social out of the EF center view.  I can't do that since the other returns have already been e-filed and cannot be removed.   When I tried to e-file, the error message says the SSN for the amended return is identical to that of another amended return in the Electronic Filing Homebase view.  Please modify the SSN and re-select the return for conversion.  However, there is no other return besides the original filing that has been accepted and I can't change the SSN.  Am I missing something?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Accountant-Man
Level 13

Asked and answered many times over the last 10 years. Do this:

In the original return, remove the efiling checkboxes for federal and states. Open each state to recognize the removal. SAVE.

Now you can e-file the amended returns. AFTER the amendeds are efiled, you can re-chevk the e-file boxes in the originals. Open each state. SAVE.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
Accountant-Man
Level 13

Asked and answered many times over the last 10 years. Do this:

In the original return, remove the efiling checkboxes for federal and states. Open each state to recognize the removal. SAVE.

Now you can e-file the amended returns. AFTER the amendeds are efiled, you can re-chevk the e-file boxes in the originals. Open each state. SAVE.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
Duncan1
Level 1

Hopefully someone can help me with an amended return. I followed all the instructions but when I try to submit I get the following error 

Duplicate return. The SSN/EIN for the selected return is identical to that of another return in your Elec Filing Home Base view which has been e-filed. Please open return modify the SSN/EIN so that is unique. The original has already been e-filed. Someone in the community suggested unchecking the efiling boxes for the Federal and State in the original. I tried that too but didn't have any luck.

Thanks

Duncan1

0 Cheers
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

@Duncan1 in EF center try unchecking error checking when transmitting the amendment. 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
0 Cheers