Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amended 2019 form 1040x

Ali
Level 3

Prepared a 2019 form 1040x, following new e-file instructions. First backed up client to a separate file on our server. Then opened the file, opened 1040x and began making the changes. When I saved the file, I now have 2 files in HomeBase and the EF Pending shows the EF Status as "Amended Return Duplicate SSN/EIN." When I choose "Fix Duplicate SSN/EIN," and check the box next to the client file I wish to remove from the EF HomeBase view (the file that was backed up to a different folder on our server), the error message reads, "A client file that displays 'Yes' in the 'E-filed or read to EF' column cannot be removed." How do I fix this and how do I prevent it happening in the future?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

9 Comments 9
IRonMaN
Level 15

I never make a copy of the file when amending, but I do keep a paper copy of the original.  Consider just saving a paper or pdf copy of the original return instead of dealing with the headaches of dealing with multiple copies of the same client.

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

Backing up shouldn't create a duplicate return error. Did you inadvertently open the backed up file to prepare the 1040X?   Or did you save the file under a new name after you prepared the 1040X?     

Ali
Level 3

That's what we've done in the past, before being able to e-file 104X.  I was thinking that I should delete the original file from HomeBase since I've got a digital backup elsewhere and a paper copy the client's file. I might try doing that.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

I never make a copy of the file when amending, but I do keep a paper copy of the original.  Consider just saving a paper or pdf copy of the original return instead of dealing with the headaches of dealing with multiple copies of the same client.

The directions to e-file a 1040X tell you to back it up to create a second copy.  It gave me the impression it was required in order to get it to e-file, but I could be wrong about that.

Ali
Level 3

I agree that it shouldn't create that error, which is why I'm confused by it.  According to ProSeries instructions, I was to create a backup to preserve the original return, then open the file and start making changes.  So I guess I did open the backed up file?  And no, I did not rename the amended file, which is what we usually do.  However, renaming the file doesn't change the fact that the SSN is a duplicate. I was trying to follow ProSeries instructions since e-filing these is new.  

0 Cheers
Ali
Level 3

Hmmm.. To create a second copy.  That's an interesting idea there.  Again, I think I might just delete the backed up file from HomeBase and see what happens.  This is new and all kinks aren't worked out yet.  Thanks for your help and for listening.

Ali
Level 3

Thanks to IRonMaN, TaxGuyBill, and dkh for helping me think this through.  Since I have the digital backup of the file and a printed copy, I deleted the original file from HomeBase View.  This has solved the duplicate SSN/EIN issue in the EF Center.  We'll see what happens when we attempt to e-file the return.  Appreciate your help with this!

Accountant-Man
Level 12

If you remove the e-file checkboxes in the original file and save and close. The duplication error goes away. E-file the 1040X and then go back to the original and re-check the boxes.

You might have to open the state too before saving without the checkboxes, then re-open the state after the X is e-filed.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
taxes96786
Level 9

I make a copy and add 1040X after client file name when saving. Then I create a 1040X Data file and put it in there so I can open without confusing the program. Be sure to go to State and select the amended form, then back to Federal to make the changes. This way the changes will flow to State return.

0 Cheers