Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amend a Tax Return

sabiduria
Level 3

A return has to be amended because two ITINs were expired. So a paper return will be sent along with the w7 forms to the IRS. 

The question is, what does have to be done with the state returns? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

8 Comments 8
George4Tacks
Level 15

They would also need to be paper filed. You need to check the state instructions to see if anything special needs to be attached, such as your paid preparer excuse for not e-filing. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I waited for the ITINs to be renewed before sending in CA but the number doesn't change so Im not sure if I could have sent the returns in prior to waiting for the renewal or not. I Efiled them just fine.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
sabiduria
Level 3

Thanks George4Tacks. The return was e-filed but the refund was adjusted because two of the ITINs were outdated. so the plan is amend the return with the w7 form to renew the ITINs. 

0 Cheers
sabiduria
Level 3

Thanks Lisa. As stated above, this returned had been e-filed already and there was an issue with the ITINs being outdated. 

0 Cheers
mgl424
Level 1

Do not send an amended return with the W-7. The IRS are not processing paper returns. And with the W-7 you need to send the passport and some other required documents. I asked 2 of my clients to go to the local IRS and submit the form W-7 with the 1040 so they can show the documents last March, 2020 rather than mailing.  The local IRS marked the W-7 and 1040 as received. I attached a copy of the marked W-7 and 1040 to the state return, South Carolina. But until now neither of the 2 received a letter from the IRS. I would assume the W-7 and the 1040 were not sent to the processing center for the W-7. Our local IRS office closed the last week of March, 2020.  But  they received received a letter from the state asking for the ITIN or SS number because IRS did not processed the W-7. 

Also my client sent a check to IRS in March  with the form 9465 until now it did not clear in the bank and the installment plan scheduled monthly every 15th starting in April were not also drafted in the bank. My client did not received a confirmation letter on the form 9465. I would assume the paper returns are sleeping in the processing centers. I know the excuse is Covid. But why my state, South Carolina are doing their job not the Internal Revenue Service. 

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
Find a local acceptance agent https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/acceptance-agent-program

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
sabiduria
Level 3

so just send the w7 form with the required documents.  or can I do what George4Tacks suggested and drop it in a local acceptance agent. 

0 Cheers
sabiduria
Level 3

so a local acceptance agent can process the w7 form? I thought these guys would just sign the w7 form to avoid sending the extra documentation. 

0 Cheers