Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amend a 2020 individual tax return to claim 2nd stimulus payment not received

cafroning
Level 1

I need to amend a client's 2020 individual tax return to claim the 2nd stimulus payment that wasn't received.  I can't find the 1040X.  In my recent update it says it is available for efile.  When I try find form it doesn't show 1040X.  Am I missing a step?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
George4Tacks
Level 15

There are probably better ways to track down an EIP. https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/second-eip-faqs#howdoi 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
cafroning
Level 1

Well, the client's husband said they received the second stimulus payment but they actually hadn't.  English is not his first language so I don't think he understood the question.  I filled out the recovery rebate worksheet so I need to amend the return.

0 Cheers
lrhenry04
Level 3

Wait to see how the tax return processes.

The IRS may have the 2nd stimulus "sitting" on the taxpayers account, kind of like an estimated payment, and will send it to your client automatically.

George4Tacks
Level 15

I would NOT amend or EIP payment, at least not yet. I have expectation that IRS has all the correct information and will adjust those returns that did not claim the correct 2020 credit. 

If they don't get an adjusted refund or tax due after filing, I would allow at least 4 weeks before charging them a hefty fee to do an amended return. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns