Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alabama again! The form says final on Proseries but I can't print it (1-27-20)

mm1
Level 5

I updated Proseries and it shows no outstanding updates. I tried to print the 2019 Alabama return, a simple W-2 only return, and Alabama won't print. It indicates not final. I went online and Proseries says the Form 40 is final and ready to e-file. Alabama had no tax law changes for 2019. Has anyone else had an issue printing Alabama?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sbolen
Level 2

Yes, I'm having the same problem with AL (and incurred it last year as well). It was a nightmare on this end last year because they were a couple of weeks into tax season before I could print AL returns. Seriously hoping this year is not going to be a repeat...

View solution in original post

13 Comments 13
max
Level 2

I am having the same problem, but with California. I'm getting an error that says it can't be filed and I can't even print it when last week I was able to do so, it just printed with the "Do not file" watermark. 

0 Cheers
cmb2106
Level 2

Yes!  Same problem I had last year!  It wont even print with the do not file watermark

max
Level 2

So it's a matter of just waiting? 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

There was a similar issue with IL last year.  The solution was to uninstall and reinstall the state module.  Don't know if that will solve the issue or not, but it is worth a try.

Slava Ukraini!
IRonMaN
Level 15

For CA you will just have to wait until 1/30.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@max wrote:

I am having the same problem, but with California. I'm getting an error that says it can't be filed and I can't even print it when last week I was able to do so, it just printed with the "Do not file" watermark. 

CA forms are NOT final, it says January 30th in the yellow bar on my screen.   If yours says its available, update and that message will change.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
max
Level 2

But why I can't print it? 

Last week I was able to print them, even with the "do not file" watermark, but today I just can't. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@max wrote:

But why I can't print it? 

Last week I was able to print them, even with the "do not file" watermark, but today I just can't. 

You shouldnt have been able to print CA at all, even with a watermark on it.   So if you did, you bypassed some type of security and got lucky.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

@IRonMaN wrote:

There was a similar issue with IL last year.  The solution was to uninstall and reinstall the state module.  Don't know if that will solve the issue or not, but it is worth a try.

What @IRonMaN says is correct. Illinois (my state) had the yellow bar across the top even tho it was final. Our solution (which worked) was to uninstall Illinois module and then re-install it. 

California I cannot speak to but @Just-Lisa-Now- can as that is her state. 

sbolen
Level 2

Yes, I'm having the same problem with AL (and incurred it last year as well). It was a nightmare on this end last year because they were a couple of weeks into tax season before I could print AL returns. Seriously hoping this year is not going to be a repeat...

mm1
Level 5

Amen! Last year was a total nightmare for us in the State of Alabama with so many AL returns just sitting and waiting for a month or more. When we finally were able to print with the watermark, we just let some of the anxious college students returns go out with the DO NOT FILE watermark on their copies. I sincerely hope this doesn't happen again! Being in Montgomery AL we contacted the State E-File Manager who said it was Proseries fault. Proseries said it was AL's fault. Yeah.....

bh35601
Level 2

I personally don't care whose fault it is, they need to get it in gear and fix their problems. I will not go through another year like last year next year. If they continue down this path I will switch software next year. I expect Intuit to be better than this and for two years in a row they have let us down.

mm1
Level 5

I agree with you. I looked into changing software last year after that debacle we had. What I found is that the other tax software providers could not say that the data conversion to their software would be correct. That meant that we would have to check every carryover from 2018 to 2019 and that would be a huge issue on many of our partnerships and corps and some individuals with K-1's. I decided to stick with Proseries because that would be a large time loss that could not be recouped. However, if this happens again to the extent of last year, I will have to swallow the billing loss. 

0 Cheers