Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aged parents

Hello, 

My client's mother has dementia, and the father is deceased as of January 2021. My client has POA and Rep Payee status for her mother but I am still uncertain which form to fill out to recognize her status. Also, how do you update identifying information for her parents in such a situation? 

Thank you to all those who are so willing to share their expertise! 

Cheers, 

Dawn 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

The trust has nothing to do with the father's final 1040. On a joint return, the surviving spouse's (or her POA's) signature is all that is required.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
qbteachmt
Level 15

Did you need this:

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-2848

You used the word "her" often, but there is Mother and your client. The "her" and your question is for the client, filing 2020 for her mother and father? There would be no POA for Father; who is handling that estate?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers

The daughter is handling the estate. So the daughter has POA and Rep Payee status for Mom, but for her father she was the co-trustee of his trust. The trust was fairly recently created and she said it had not yet been registered. 

Will it be a red flag that she has different statuses for each parent? 

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Are you asking about signing the tax return?  Does the PoA from the mother have a specific reference to dealing with tax matters?  

sjrcpa
Level 15

The trust has nothing to do with the father's final 1040. On a joint return, the surviving spouse's (or her POA's) signature is all that is required.

Ex-AllStar

I will double-check, but I do not think so. 

0 Cheers