Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACCEPTED FEB 12, 2021----"STILL BEING PROCESSED"

lefty
Level 4

I have several clients that E-Filed that first week of E-filing season (around February 12th, 2021) their 2020 tax return and 2 months later the IRS says they are still processing their returns.

Anyone else experiencing this same problem?

What do we do?  I suspect these returns will need to be filed again.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

9 Comments 9
BobKamman
Level 15

Don't ask us, ask IRS

"As of March 26, 2021, we had 16.5 million unprocessed individual returns in the pipeline. Unprocessed returns include those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Advance Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions."

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Nooo, don't file again.   You wouldn't be ale to Efile anyhow and you dont want any paper floating around in there at IRS.

If you want to gather up those client files and call into PPS and see if they can tell you anything, they'll help with up to 5 clients in one call.

Every years there is some kind of snafu with early filed returns...sometimes it pays to wait a few days after the season opens before filing.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Lisa has this theory about early-filed returns.  I have this theory about early vaccines.  When 6 million get a shot in a week, there will be twice as many adverse reactions as when 3 million get a shot the next week.  

qbteachmt
Level 15

"the IRS says they are still processing their returns."

The IRS has released a lot of updates on this, including that the Status isn't necessary the actual status. There are people who got their refund even though the reported status is Processing.

"I suspect these returns will need to be filed again."

The point is, they Have it and they are Working on it. Why would you keep filing it again?

The IRS also mentioned not to keep filing; you're just making things worse when you keep submitting the same return over and over.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
taxprep19
Level 2

I have one client with this same issue.  They have tried to call the IRS and have not been able to speak to an agent.  

They want me to file again and I do not think that is a good idea.

Any other options or ideas?  

Thank you

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Once its in processing, youre at the mercy of the IRS. You wont be able to Efile again and the filing a paper return when one return is already being processed will just muck up the situation even further.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
sjrcpa
Level 15

Tell them they just have to be patient and wait.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
taxprep19
Level 2

Thank you.  I fully agree and that is what I have said.  I appreciate the support!!

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continue | Internal Revenue Service 

Look at the first item under What You Can Expect. Updated yesterday April 23.

Ex-AllStar