Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A return was e-filed and accepted however the IRS says it can't provide any info on the return. What can I do?

Ronnie_65
Level 2

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
BobKamman
Level 15

Be patient.  That's how the system works these days.  

" If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return."

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Sounds like its landed in manual processing for some reason...was there RRC being computed on the return? Could be stuck for ID verification, you wont know for sure until it finally shakes free of manual processing and moves further through the system to generate a letter or eventually the refund.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Ronnie_65
Level 2

Yes.  There was a RRC but the return was accepted by the IRS on March 29, six months ago.  The "Where's My Refund" message says, "We cannot provide any information about your refund.  Be sure to:  verify your filing date; check with your tax preparer or tax software provider or verify you received you electronically filed acknowledgement e-mail"  

I verified the filing date.  I am the tax preparer and have never seen this message before.  I have the electronic acknowledgement.  Is there anything ProSeries, the tax software provider, do???

0 Cheers
Ronnie_65
Level 2

I have been patient for 6 months.  Something has gone wrong somewhere.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Millions of these returns with RRC on them have been hung up in manual processing for month after month for people.

That message is common when return has been pulled into manual review.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If youve got a few hours of free time you could try and get through to the Practitioner Hotline and see if you can get them to officially tell you that its in review.

abctax55
Level 15

@Ronnie_65 

"Something has gone wrong somewhere."

Yep... it's called COVID-19, plus the IRS being tasked with many, many different functions without any increase in funding.  I'm not a huge fan of the IRS, but I can empathize with their situation.  Not to mention that the 'how' of sending out the stimulus payments under immediate pressure to get the money out to people was a major mess.

NONE of this is Intuit/ProSeries fault.

Visit a few other tax forums and you'll see that your client is not the only one hung up in this mess.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
BobKamman
Level 15

Does everyone agree that the most important fact here is that the return was filed March 29, so of course that detail was omitted from the original post?

During the 50s and 60s there was a weekly TV show, “I’ve Got A Secret,” where a panel of lesser celebrities tried to guess a person’s occupation or other secret by asking questions. You can find all the old episodes on YouTube. It was often sponsored by a cigarette company so the panelists or host would occasionally endorse the product while smoking it themselves.

(The long-time host was Garry Moore, but I think he was eventually replaced by Bill Cullen, a perpetual host for similar TV series. Cullen was a polio survivor so you always saw him seated or standing – not walking, because of a limp. Steve Allen, of my favorite late-night show ever, was also a host in the later years.)

So I think what we need here is our own “I’ve Got A Secret” panel. I nominate Lisa to play the part of Jayne Meadows, a 60s panelist and wife of Steve Allen. I’ll play Bennett Cerf. Other volunteers may select their own icons.

Ronnie_65
Level 2

Looks like you don't have enough to do.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

never mind ... not worth it....

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"