Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$600 contribution deduction for MFJ in 2020

Greta
Level 9

The software did not allow me to enter $600 on line 10b of the 1040 worksheet. It allows only $300. Advise how to enter $600 for MFJ.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Unless I missed it, there is no indication that Joint filers can use $600

The CARES Act seems a bit murky in this regard and just said $300.  From what I remember, I think I read that the congressional notes ("blue book") says $300 on a Joint tax return.  So unless the IRS clarifies it, it is limited to $300 per tax return.

Many charitable organizations are claiming that $600 is deductible for joint return because they want larger contributions.  But as far as I know, there is no indication from Congress or the IRS that $600 is allowed.

View solution in original post

24 Comments 24
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Unless I missed it, there is no indication that Joint filers can use $600

The CARES Act seems a bit murky in this regard and just said $300.  From what I remember, I think I read that the congressional notes ("blue book") says $300 on a Joint tax return.  So unless the IRS clarifies it, it is limited to $300 per tax return.

Many charitable organizations are claiming that $600 is deductible for joint return because they want larger contributions.  But as far as I know, there is no indication from Congress or the IRS that $600 is allowed.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

And the Draft Instructions for Form 1040 specifically states "don't enter more than $300".

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/i1040gi--dft.pdf#page=30

Greta
Level 9

Thanks, that explains it! I read about the $600 deduction in a prior discussion thread (Sept 9?) that indicated $600 for MFJ.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I saw it somewhere as well....I hadnt looked into it at all yet, Im not ready for 2020 returns!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Earlier I , also saw $600 for MFJ, but now all I see is $300 for all filing statuses Found the site that said $600.  https://www.501c3.org/the-cares-act-increases-donation-tax-deductibility/. It seems as if it is only 

$300 for all, but need to research official source. Its early

TetonTaxService
Level 3

Where is the location on the software to enter this $300?  I can't find it on the Info Worksheet.  Thanks!

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
1040/1040SR worksheet Line 10b

TaxLady51
Level 1

I believe it should be $600 for Married Filing joint.  I am awaiting a software upgrade to include an extra $300 for joint returns. Between Federal and state it can make a difference of $42 on many return more on others.   I am cutting and pasting below some information recently received from a seminar I took regarding this.  Or maybe this is for next year's return since it states for taxable year beginning in 2021 ??????

Special Charitable Deductions - Section 212 – Amends §170:
 ‘‘SPECIAL RULE FOR TAXPAYERS WHO DO NOT ELECT TO ITEMIZE DEDUCTIONS.—In
the case of any taxable year beginning in 2021, if the individual does not elect to itemize deductions
for such taxable year, the deduction under this section shall be equal to the deduction, not in excess of
$300 ( $600 in the case of a joint return), which would be determined under this section if the only
charitable contributions taken into account in determining such deduction were contributions made in
cash during such taxable year (determined without regard to subsections (b)(1)(G)(ii) and (d)(1)) to
an organization described in section 170(b)(1)(A)).

To the experts out there...Please advise

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Your belief is wrong.

The $ 600 is for 2021.  ".....the case of any taxable year beginning in 2021" 

What's ambiguous about that?

$ 300 is for 2020.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

I'll second the alphabet lady - the $600 is a next year thingy.  It's a once size fits all of $300 for 2020.

Slava Ukraini!
Parkhead1
Level 1

current joint return has a balance due for SE tax of 480.  Can't itemize.  how do I take a deduction on

the front of the return ? thee 300 or 600 doesn't work

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Is a deduction on the front of the return really going to reduce SE tax?

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
that wont reduce SE tax

art gentile
Level 1

cant take 600 charitable tax ded for mfj non itemizer

0 Cheers
art gentile
Level 1

the creduit is 600  for mfj you did missit

0 Cheers
art gentile
Level 1

where do i put the ded on 1040

0 Cheers
art gentile
Level 1

are we sure 600 or300

0 Cheers
art gentile
Level 1

but where do i put it

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

@art gentile 

1) this is NOT live chat

2) ARE you a tax pro?

( Generic Comment )"
art gentile
Level 1

yes

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

You have jumped into a 2-1/2 year old post.  What year are you asking about?

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

@art gentile  - If you're a tax pro, what did your CPE say about the above the line charitable for the tax year 2022?

( Generic Comment )"
Taxprohere
Level 7

I'll have what he's drinking.  With dictionaries all around!!

taxes96786
Level 9

for tax year 2022, taxpayers who don’t itemize and who take the standard deduction, won’t be able to deduct their charitable contributions