Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

529 withdrawal for high school expense

Perspective
Level 2

taxpayer used 529 money for high school expense for dependent. It was >than $10k so some is taxable but the taxable portion doesn't transfer to the Other Income worksheet. Why?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

What is the basis in the amount withdrawn?

Ex-AllStar
Perspective
Level 2

Distribution $11807, allowed expense $110000, basis $8613, earnings $3193, taxable amount $489 and there should be a 10% penalty.

0 Cheers
Perspective
Level 2

allowed expense $10000 sorry for the typo

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

I haven't had to research the new "high school" rules so maybe something addresses this.  In general, 1099-Q forms are issued either to the account owner or to the account beneficiary depending on how the funds were disbursed.  Could it be that the 1099-Q was issued in the child's name/SSN?  If so, I think that would likely make it taxable on the child's 1040.  If not, check your data entry to make sure you're not accidentally marking it as such.

If it's any consolation, I agree with your conclusion!

Rick

Perspective
Level 2

When I changed the recipient to the Taxpayer on the 1099-Q Worksheet, the amounts flowed through to all the required forms correctly.  I can't put it on the dependent's tax return as she doesn't need to file one and the penalty needs to be paid somehow.  Thanks all.

0 Cheers