Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5071C Letters

Summit1
Level 5

are many of your clients receiving 5071C letters requesting Identity Verification thus delaying their refunds up to 9 weeks?

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The Turbotax breach was announced a few days ago, its current, not from last year. ProSeries isnt an online DIY program it can't be "breached" like Turbotax.  TurboTax has had similar issues in prior years as well though.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

12 Comments 12
PATAX
Level 15

@Summit1 I haven't received one and I do not know of any local tax preparers that have received one...

sjrcpa
Level 15

I've had a couple of clients get them.

Ex-AllStar
PATAX
Level 15

@Summit1 make sure it is a legitimate letter... I haven't received one in years but I think it came from Austin Texas.  

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Seen a few from the state of CA, I dont think anyone has called with a federal one yet though.    

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

TurboTax did have a security breach, maybe some phony returns got filed

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/intuit-notifies-customers-of-compromised-turbotax-acc...

Summit1
Level 5

I had the client scan and email the letter and it appears to be authentic. It is from the IRS is Austin, TX and references the Integrity & Verification Operations Division. You are encouraged to chose the online option. The IRS provides additional information as to what information you should have when you logon. It seems to me that they are trying to look for identity theft. 

The alarming part is that this is going to hold up the clients refund for another 9 weeks. 

Summit1
Level 5

Thank you!

Summit1
Level 5

Thank you!

Summit1
Level 5

Thank you

dascpa
Level 11

At least 25 this year.  More than ever before.

0 Cheers
Summit1
Level 5

It appears that the IRS is experiencing an increase in people filing fraudulent returns. My client is going to try and resolve this online this evening. I will be available to the client if they don't know exactly where to find the information the IRS is requesting to confirm their identity. Based on the letter they received the IRS has received a return using this clients name but the return filed does not appear to contain the same type of information that this client usually reports.

If the client is successful, I  will update my post and provide additional information.

I did see a reply to my post indicating that Turbotax experienced a data breach last year. Does anyone know if ProSeries experienced a databreach?

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The Turbotax breach was announced a few days ago, its current, not from last year. ProSeries isnt an online DIY program it can't be "breached" like Turbotax.  TurboTax has had similar issues in prior years as well though.