Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 won't load, says not 64 bit and Windows 8.1, or higher, which is NOT true.

Bob F
Level 3

ProSeries 2020 won't load after the install file was downloaded.  An error message says my computer is not 64 bit and/or Windows 8.1, or higher, which is NOT true.  I have Windows 10 Pro with a 64 bit operating system.  Is anyone else having this issue, or better yet, a fix?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

Ok, i'm sorry that didn't work. We will look into the issue and/or turn the message into a warning (so that it proceeds anyway if someone wants).

In the meantime, there's a work around.  Create a new file in your C:\\ drive, named ProSeriesPrereqBypass.txt.    It doesn't have to have anything in it... Just the existence of that file will cause the installer to skip this check.  Then after you create the file, just run the installer.

2020-11-16_11-27-25.png

View solution in original post

13 Comments 13
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

I just finished installing ProSeries Pro stand alone, and had no issues. You may have to call support

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I remember people getting the same message with the 2019 install, I dont remember what the fix was, sorry.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

As @Just-Lisa-Now-  said some people had that problem last year, and I believe the fix was to download directly from your account at Intuit, and not from the 2019 program. Worth a shot before calling support. 

Bob F
Level 3

It won't load from my account, nor from the 2019 program.  

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I feel like the remedy was to install from the CD, but I'm not sure if they've sent those out yet or not, and I have no clue why the CD that would make the install different.

0 Cheers
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

I'm sorry you ran into this issue.  I think the fix here will address this: 

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/not-able-to-install-pro...

It suggests installing the latest "vc_redist.x86.exe" Microsoft patch found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

Go there, scroll down and click on the "vc_redist.x86.exe" link.  After it downloads, click it to run.

This installs the latest version of a Microsoft library ProSeries depends on. The ProSeries installer is supposed to take care of that - but seems to not be doing that on your machine. 

Bob F
Level 3

I have tried all of the suggested fixes multiple times.  None have worked.  Please note that late in 2019 (after I had already loaded PS 2019) my machine was updated from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro.  It was one of the very last Win 7 machines that Dell sold.  I requested Win 7 Pro when it was purchased, since we liked it so much and all of our other machines were Win 7 Pro at that time.  Can ProSeries Tech support help me?!?!?

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Can ProSeries Tech support help me?!?!?

Probably, but you'll have to call them.  This is a forum of peer-to-peer users of the software.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

So it was purchased as a Win7 system, and you're sure its 64bit?  You can double check:

RIGHT click on the Windows Start button and choose System   

That first window that opens should tell you 

system64.png

0 Cheers
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

Ok, i'm sorry that didn't work. We will look into the issue and/or turn the message into a warning (so that it proceeds anyway if someone wants).

In the meantime, there's a work around.  Create a new file in your C:\\ drive, named ProSeriesPrereqBypass.txt.    It doesn't have to have anything in it... Just the existence of that file will cause the installer to skip this check.  Then after you create the file, just run the installer.

2020-11-16_11-27-25.png

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

In Windows Pro you have to type "system" in the search window then click on system information at top. You can also do as @Just-Lisa-Now-  said, but you have to click on "settings", and then more steps to get the info you need.  

Bob F
Level 3

Can you please help to install that file?

0 Cheers
Bob F
Level 3

Ignore the help loading the file comment from a bit ago.  I got the file copied to the c drive done.  Not sure I could do it again.  Had to open the CMD prompt as administrator.  That was they key, I think!  The program is now loading.  Thank you so much!

0 Cheers