Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 unemployment

westax
Level 3

Any talk on how unemployment is going to be handled on returns already filed?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
abctax55
Level 15

Yes, there is.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
westax
Level 3

Let me rephrase that. What is ProSeries going to do about returns already filed that has unemployment in the returns? Will we need to amend the returns or can the program be changed so anything over 10200 on an individual basis automatically be amended to reduce the compensation by that 10200?

Obviously this is a question for Intuit to answer not any wise guys! Or Girls. Don't want to be sexist here. lol

0 Cheers
Dave Kropp
Level 3

The return will have to be amended.If you efiled the original return you can efile the amended return.

0 Cheers
westax
Level 3

Do you work for Intuit? That's a lot amended returns to file. 

0 Cheers
Dave Kropp
Level 3

I don't work for Intuit. However, I used to work for Creative Solutions (Ultra Tax) and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night 😀 .Here is a link to the cnbc article.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/11/what-to-know-about-unemployment-benefits-in-the-new-relief-package.h...

dan3322
Level 2

Per CNBC article of 3/19/21 "$10,200 unemployment tax break: IRS plans to automatically process refunds" Per IRS commissioner Charles Rettig "do not file an amended return at this time, we believe we will be able to handle this on our own, we believe that we will be able to automatically issue refunds associated with the $10,200"  They are working on a worksheet with online tax programs moving forward for people filing now. Hopefully Intuit has it available to use ASAP

0 Cheers