Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 proseries professional emailing client checklist

Rainman1966
Level 3

I am using Outlook 2010, 64 bit.  I get an error message "Errror occurred.  The email could not be sent."  I am trying to email the client checklist.  Have been using the same program for years and never a problem. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
qbteachmt
Level 15

The answer is on this forum: "The Tax Year 20 program was updated to automatically detect which client to use (32 bit Outlook or 64 bit Outlook), but there's an issue that will be fixed in our upcoming Jan 20 release... along with a different setting to allow you to use a non-outlook 64 bit client."

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.

View solution in original post

18 Comments 18
User FIDO 61
Level 8

Second to the last pop-up in this Help Article ↓

Email your client’s tax return as a password-protected PDF using ProSeries Professional

• Do I have the right email application installed?
  • Unsupported Email Applications:
    All 64-bit versions of Outlook, Outlook Express, and Windows Mail
♫ So if you ask me and I don't tell you
Bet your sweet bottom dollar I lied ♪
sjrcpa
Level 15

Does Microsoft even support that version of Outlook anymore?

Ex-AllStar
Rainman1966
Level 3

I spent over 45 min with proseries tech support and was informed that outlook 64 bit is ok.  In fact in proseries 2019 under the options/general tab there was a option check box that let you opt in to use 64 bit for email.  That option is not there in 2020 tax software.  

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

As with the IRS, the written Internal Revenue Code takes precedence over what any employee tells you on the phone.

It works that way with Intuit, too.

Ex-AllStar
Rainman1966
Level 3

I do understand what you are saying however it seems odd to me that I have been using that version of Outlook since 2010 with no problem until this year.  I suggested that they put that checkbox back under the general tab. I will purchase a current Outlook version and see what happens.  I won't hold my breath.

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

You should try Thunderbird, as it works, and is free. Haven't tried it with 2020 yet, but I don't anticipate any problems.

0 Cheers
Rainman1966
Level 3

Just and FYI.  I went back and opened my 2019 Proseries and emailed a client checklist and it worked.  Same computer, same Outlook 2010.  Closed 2019 out and opened 2020.  Tried to email the checklist and it failed.  I will try using Thunderbird as was suggested.  Am I the only one that is having this problem?

0 Cheers
User FIDO 61
Level 8

No. It may still function. However, Microsoft is unlikely to provide any updates after October 2020. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/outlook-2010

♫ So if you ask me and I don't tell you
Bet your sweet bottom dollar I lied ♪
jane3
Level 1

I am having the same problem.  Was told a couple of weeks ago that they would add the 64 bit option.

0 Cheers
Rainman1966
Level 3

Thank you jane3.  I thought I was the only one having this issue.  I can't wait to see if and when the 64 bit is added. 

0 Cheers
mdarosa
Level 1

Count me in,  does not work on old and new versions of outlook, so do not give that as an excuse  Proseries support guys.

0 Cheers
ERKTAR0422
Level 1

SAME PROBLEM AS YOU - THIS IS CRAZY !!!!!!!!

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

The answer is on this forum: "The Tax Year 20 program was updated to automatically detect which client to use (32 bit Outlook or 64 bit Outlook), but there's an issue that will be fixed in our upcoming Jan 20 release... along with a different setting to allow you to use a non-outlook 64 bit client."

Rainman1966
Level 3

Problem solved.  The new program update on Jan. 20th corrected the email error on the client checklist.

0 Cheers
mavwardcpa
Level 1

It's Feb 2nd and I am still having the same issue. Checkbox was checked for 64-bit, but can't email forms or checklists. Is there something else I need to change?

0 Cheers
Rainman1966
Level 3

It might depend on what email service you are using.  I use gmail and I did need to go into my security settings and allow third party applications. When I open up Outlook it connects to my gmail account and loads in all of my emails.

0 Cheers
simensonka
Level 2

Just wanted to chime in here.  I was not able to send emails because I use gmail and just go to Gmail to get my mail via the web.  I had to download Outlook 19 and sign in with my gmail account for the emails to work.  Hope that helps.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I was not able to send emails because I use gmail and just go to Gmail to get my mail via the web"

Which means you are using Web Mail, and not using an email "client" at all. Client = installed program.

"

• Unsupported Email Applications:
    • All 64-bit versions of Outlook, Outlook Express, and Windows Mail
    • All web-based versions of Outlook, Outlook Express or Windows Mail
    • All webmail services (such as Outlook.com, Outlook 365, Gmail, Yahoo, AOL, etc.)"

That's in the previously provided link.

It's not the address you have, but the way you access email. Web Mail doesn't provide a tool to connect to for local programs. There are ways to substitute your email address to an email service that typically uses a client, but that is not always provided for.

"If you are using a webmail service, you may be able to configure it for access through the MAPI email client installed in Windows. Our support agents cannot assist with setup of your email application. Please contact your local IT professional for further assistance, and let them know that you ll need a 32-bit, ExtendedMAPI-Compliant email client application to use this feature in ProSeries Professional. SimpleMAPI-compliant email clients may not function correctly."

0 Cheers