Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2018 Hawaii non resident N-15 tax return

mac1234
Level 1

We are trying to file N-15 to report "rental loss" on a home in Hawaii for 2018.  I have the rental property designated as Hawaii in the input data and depreciation schedule but the loss is not showing up in Column B Hawaii income on page 2 of N-15. The loss is the only item in the tax return that is Hawaii Income (California resident full year)  Any help?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Its possible that the passive loss limitation is whats causing it to show nothing, but Id expect at least a zero to appear.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Its been a few years since Ive had a CA resident with a HI rental, but at the bottom of the federal information worksheet is a Non resident state allocation area....did you fill that in before preparing the HI and CA returns?

0 Cheers
mac1234
Level 1

Thank you for your  reply - I'm not sure if you are talking about the Client info spot for input? I added Hawaii after the return was prepared for Federal and California - added Hawaii to the state - checked multi state box etc - the tax return etc is processed and shows up but the Hawaii property rental loss is not showing up in column B. which makes me wonder if it is not reported because the loss is "limited" passive loss and there is no other Hawaii income.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Scroll down to the bottom of the Fed Info worksheet, you have HI designated as a Non resident state there? The click the Non resident button below the table....I always fill this part out prior to switching over to the state returns, things seem to flow better.

nonres.png

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Its possible that the passive loss limitation is whats causing it to show nothing, but Id expect at least a zero to appear.