Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

16.7 Million

PATAX
Level 15

As of June 25, 2021, 16.7 million 2019 and 2020 individual federal returns are in a backlog (that requires manual processing)... Includes both paper filed and e-filed returns... maybe this can be of some "comfort" to our clients with "in limbo returns" knowing that they are not the only ones... Just my opinion..

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

As of July 3, 2021, it increased to 16.8 million

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
sjrcpa
Level 15

As of July 3, 2021, it increased to 16.8 million

Ex-AllStar
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

When I Google "IRS backlog", there are dozens of recent articles saying 35 million.

It says 16.8 million PAPER returns that need to be processed, PLUS 15.8 that are suspended for review, PLUS 2.7 amended returns.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tax-refund-35-million-returns-irs-backlog/

PATAX
Level 15

I saw that also after I did the same Google search after sjr comment........ not sure if that 35 million figure includes all returns, not just 1040 returns but also corporate and so forth... In any event there is a monstrous pile of returns ...Just my opinion...

sjrcpa
Level 15

I'm getting my info from the horse's mouth.

IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continue | Internal Revenue Service

First item under What You Can Expect

Ex-AllStar
PATAX
Level 15

👍sjr I received my aforementioned information from the Kiplinger Tax Letter... This is a great, reliable source of valuable information and I highly recommend it for all tax preparers...just my opinion....

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

The 35 million number seems to be from a recent Taxpayer Advocate Blog (June 29th) that said as of the tax deadline (May 17th) , there were 35 million.

So it seems like the news media just grabbed that number, despite the fact that numbers seems to be outdated.

https://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/news/nta-blog-2021-filing-season-bumps-in-the-road-part-iii/

PATAX
Level 15

Let us hope that these returns are  processed as soon as they can... The monthly child tax credit payments are to begin soon and I'm not sure if this is or is not going to have an effect on this processing of "in limbo returns"...

BobKamman
Level 15

That’s the number to use if you want the IRS spin on it. Meanwhile, the national taxpayer advocate said in a report to Congress last week that although around 95% of taxpayers will likely avoid a delay in their 2020 tax return, 35.3 million individual and business returns are still unprocessed.

IRS is counting only those returns that have been around longer than 21 days. The NTA seems to be counting those that were received recently enough that they can’t be counted yet as delayed. She also seems to be adding in the delayed 941's.

Most of my clients have been voting for years to send people to Congress who have been voting to defund the IRS. It’s easier to point this out to them, now that refund delays have hit them in the pocketbook.  (Even if, the Kiplinger right-wing propaganda ignores that reality.)

0 Cheers