Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1120S Corp extension filing

IdriziTax
Level 2

trying to efile an extension for an 1120S corp and I got an error message stating cannot efile extension after the 3/16/2020 deadline. However the deadline was extended to July 15, 2020. How can I file this extension today?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Dita 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
"Postponement relief is limited to 2019 tax returns due April 1, 2020, or after, "
Since the due date was before April 1, it was not extended.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
Sheri1
Level 2

I am having the same problem in Lacerte.  It looks like all updates have been installed. How do we fix this!

0 Cheers
Sheri1
Level 2

I found this link in Lacerte regarding transmission perfection period:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/partnership/help/electronic-filing-deadlines-and-perfection-...

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

See IRS Notice 2020-23. Despite the confusing language, the due date was 3/16/20

Ex-AllStar
Sheri1
Level 2

Thank you so much!  So, Corporations did not get the extended time to file if they were due 3/15/2020, only returns that would normally have been due 4/15/2020 correct? I just received the request to file this extension yesterday.  

0 Cheers
IdriziTax
Level 2

Very Confusing! I found this article on Forbes & it looks like it was supposed to be extended:

Live Updates

May 20: 2019 calendar-year partnership and S-Corp tax returns, and 2020 Section 475 elections for partnerships and S-Corps, were due March 16, 2020. These pass-through tax returns and entity 475 elections are not eligible for virus tax relief with the July 15, 2020 postponement deadline. Postponement relief is limited to 2019 tax returns due April 1, 2020, or after, and the March 16 deadline was before April 1. However, fiscal-year partnership or S-Corp tax returns due on April 1, 2020, or later are eligible for the July 15 deadline.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
"Postponement relief is limited to 2019 tax returns due April 1, 2020, or after, "
Since the due date was before April 1, it was not extended.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IdriziTax
Level 2

Thank you!

0 Cheers
IdriziTax
Level 2

Thank you!

0 Cheers
Sheri1
Level 2

I wonder if they will grant relief for the penalties due to the confusion. I plan to try. Does anyone have suggestions for getting penalty relief? Appreciate any input! 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

But what confusion?  They didn't move back any due dates until after the Sub S due dates had passed so those extensions should have been filed before any word came out about July 15th.  But because of COVID issues this year, I think the IRS is going to be handing out a lot of "get out of jail free" cards this year.  Just write a letter asking for forgiveness and mention COVID a few times in the letter and see if that flies.

Slava Ukraini!